New_Gates1.jpg 451.88KB 10 downloads New_Gates2.jpg 100.51KB 10 downloads New_Gates3.jpg 111.39KB 10 downloads New_Gates4.jpg 144.38KB 10 downloadsThe original wooden gates and adjoining fence, fell victim to the heat, humidity, harsh Texas sun and all around decay since "new" in 2008.
So, having to replace them, I decided to fabricate a steel frame, so as to prevent "sagging" in the future. The main posts are 3"x3" inside dimension Structural Steel square tubing.. Primary Gate Frames are 1"x1" I.D. structural square tubing. Diagonal braces are 1/2" square tubing.
Hinges are 3/16" plate, and came with no screw holes, as they're made to be welded, and so, I did. All open ends of square tubing had "caps" welded on and ground flush, so there will be no water intrusion anywhere in the structure. These won't be rusting from the inside out.
All wood was coated with Thompson's Timber Oil, before assembly, in the "Teak" color, which will give 2 or 3 years of decent protection.
All welds were done with a bottom-tier MIG machine. I'm NOT a welder, but I can put some things together and they do not break. What I do have a knack for though, is accurate measurements, layout and execution.
And I swing a mean angle-grinder, making ugly welds beautiful to the untrained eye! lol
So, this is what I've done on some days off over the past couple of weeks. Glad to finally have it DONE!