Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Would these work with a D7200

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

CJH

CJH

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi there, I’ve just bought a D7200 and have previous lenses that I used with my D50.
Would these work well with the D7200 or would they not work to the optimum that the camera can do?
They’re: NIKON DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED
and NIKON DX AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm 1: 4--5.6 G ED
Many thanks

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The old kit lenses still work remarkably well even on the D7200's demanding sensor. There is no need to get newer versions of them, unless you feel that you would benefit from VR. However, the 16-85, 16-80  or one of the f/2.8 normal zooms, either Nikon or third-party, give different results. They are worth the money they cost when you feel that you have outgrown the kit lenses.

The important thing is to get out and use your new camera so you get used to it. A nice way of getting used to carrying the camera almost everywhere is to participate in the One week... minichallenge. After all, it is the photographer who takes the photos, the gear just makes it possible.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have to agree with Peter...the lenses you have will work fine...it really depends on if or when you encounter limitations with your current lenses.  I know folks who have no interest in moving away from the kit lenses. 

If you expect to shoot in low light or some other "extremes" you would probably want to move to one of the f2.8 zooms or primes that would be appropriate for those situations...

CJH

CJH

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi Peter and Tbonz
Thanks so much for your replies. That’s good to hear that they’ll be ok to use.
We have bought a Samyang 16mm F2.0 ED AS UMC CS Lens for the night and landscape photography for the Iceland trip. (Sadly couldn’t afford much else after the cost of the trip and new camera body, which is why I also want to use my old kit lenses).
Hope to get some good shots.
Still have to get a tripod, ND filter and a remote shutter release. It all adds up doesn’t it.
Thanks for your help. :-)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you have a smartphone, you can postpone getting a remote as the wmu app works really well.

CJH

CJH

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
Oh thanks Peter - I’ll check that out. :-)