Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5100 no longer detects SD card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

trevor.williams

trevor.williams

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

After nearly 5 years of trouble free use, my D5100 started refusing to detect my Sandisk 32Gb SD card.

I was luckily able to get my pictures off the disk, because my laptop would recognise it.

My local camera shop tried my disk in various of their own Nikon cameras, and tried various new and used disks in my camera all with no problems. The only thing that doesn't work is my disk in my camera.

They also reformatted the disk in one of their own cameras, and used a can of air to blow out the disk socket on the camera- still with no success.

In the end I bought a new disk, and the camera has worked OK since.

My question(s) are, does anyone know what went wrong, and is this sort of thing now going to happen more often?

Thanks

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Do you remove the card for downloading, if so i can see the possibilty in 5 years of some wear on camera and card contacts that only show when the two are used together.i never use 32gb cards i use 16gb they get a lot of use so replace them every 2/3 years. 

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

While SD cards have come along ways I still don’t trust them. This why I take advantage of the two cards and I replace the cards about every year. Overkill? Maybe!

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
First of all, the guy at your local camera store is a moron... you don't spray canned air in a camera for any reason. The propellent contains chemicals.

Google "sd slot cleaner" or fabricate one from some paper card stock and use a small amount of pure isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol).

You can also burnish the contacts on the card with a clean pencil eraser, followed up by a swap with a small amount of alcohol (or various contact cleaners designed for gold).

But if you camera is working fine with a new card, you might want to just replace it.

trevor.williams

trevor.williams

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Folks, thanks for your replies. I think MikeW's explanation is probably the right one. Yes, 32 Gb was a bit over the top as I never remotely got near filling it, so I have bought 2 x 16Gb cards - one to use and one as a spare. Perhaps I ought to consider not removing the card so often, and getting the pics off via the cable instead?. Then I would worry about wear and tear on the connection at the camera end.

Scott, I will try your contact cleaning method. I wasn't aware at the time of the potential dangers to cameras of canned air propellant, but no harm seems to have been done this time. Now I know, so I won't be letting anyone do that again.

Best regards , Trevor

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

For contact cleaning and protection, I have had good results with DeOxit Gold, that can be found in shops who specialize on electronics building and repair, high-end HiFi shops and the firms who cater for professional audio like PA systems, studio equipment and such things. It leaves a film that protects the surface from oxidation while making for better contact.