Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Outdoor Wedding Ceremony Lens help

wedding lens outdoor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

jms310

jms310

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been asked to photograph my sister-in-law's brothers wedding ceremony this summer. I'm passionate about photography, and someone else is taking the group/before the wedding and the reception photos. Since the main photographer is in the wedding, my sister in law gave the bride my name...I've taken a couple of photos of her baby, and did some maternity pictures for her. 

The bride and groom are fully aware that I am not a professional photographer, and since this is just for the ceremony, it's a pretty low risk situation that I feel comfortable taking on.

It will be an outdoor wedding, but I'm wondering what lens might be the best to capture the ceremony. I've got a Nikon D3200, a 35mm, and the 2 lenses that came with the camera--an 18-55 and 55-200. I want to make sure that I've got some time before the wedding to price out the lens, and practice with it before the big day. Any suggestions?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I don't think it is quite as easy as your question suggests...some additional info would be quite a bit of help...

You indicated it will be outdoors.  Day or night?  Sun, shade?  Any plan in the event of rain?  Will you be wandering around the ceremony, shooting from the back of the crowd, right up front?  Can you go to the site of the ceremony now and get an idea of what range would work well?  If that is possible, that would be your best bet - take along a friend and have them stand where the bride and groom will be and take some practice shots to get an idea of what works best and what kind of lighting challenges you might have.  If you can do that at the same time of day it would be even better!  The practice images should give you an idea of what range you would be looking at!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wedding, lens, outdoor