Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I need a replacement Wide Angle for property photography

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

BMedia

BMedia

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all,

When I first started photographing cars I picked up a Tokina 11-16 ATX-Pro DX. It was a cheap lens just for getting certain interior shots. However, I have been spending more and more time photographing property. For that it has been a cracking lens and easily earn't back its value.

Whilst on set I was walking on spongy floor and caused my tripod to wobble... wallop, bang! Camera went over. The lens still focuses manually, but auto focus is just getting worse. So, I need a new one.

What would people recommend?

Ideal budget is £600 as I have just bought a new body (D500) but I need a working lens to earn money to buy better quality lenses, catch 22! I would prefer a Wide-Zoom just to help narrow the width down for the smaller rooms.

Current lenses ideas:

Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm F2.8 DXII Lens - Relatively cheap and is a straight 2.8. Apparently, the quality is better against the pro and has metal gears rather than plastic for AF.

Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM Lens - Nikon AF - Quite an old lens now? Put off a little as a worry the quality will be naff on my D500 body? I have a 17-50mm and it has a terrible DOF. Often find the centre point is in focus with no balance to the rest of the image.

Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X PRO DX V Lens - Nikon Fit

Tamron SP AF10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di-II

Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D Lens – Nikon – This lens interest me because of their zero distortion, but are they any good?

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4 G ED IF DX – little on the expensive side. For the £400 more, will I get that much better quality over the Tokina?

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED – Cheaper than the 12-14 and a lower F-stop on 10, but it is just a basic lens. For the £600+ it costs, is the quality going to be any good against the Tokina since it is a basic lens?

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.