Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Use of the Columbus nGPS Geotagging GPS with Nikon D850

d850 gps columbus geotagging accessories

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

I saw that CanadaGPS web site is selling the Columbus nGPS Geotagging GPS (Direct Connect to Nikon & Fujifilm Digital SLRs (Remote Cord Included).  It is plugged to the camera using the ten-pin plug of the camera.

Can someone tell me if he(she) got this unit to use with the D850?  Is it compatible with this camera?

Apparently the list of Nikon cameras compatible is dated 2016 and of course the D850 is not listed.

I would appreciate your advice before deciding if I get it or not.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I don't have a D850 - does it have a 10-pin connector for the device to plug in?  If so, then I would probably contact the company and have them answer the question - preferably in writing in case it does not work as they claim.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

AFAIK, the D850 still uses the same protocol for communicating with geotagging devices, but it is best to ask the company who make it, just as Tom says.

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't have a D850 - does it have a 10-pin connector for the device to plug in?  If so, then I would probably contact the company and have them answer the question - preferably in writing in case it does not work as they claim.  

This is exactly what I did.  But they never bothered to reply.  Three attempts so far...

AFAIK, the D850 still uses the same protocol for communicating with geotagging devices, but it is best to ask the company who make it, just as Tom says.

See my answer above.

It seems that an alternative to using this Columbus GPS device for which there are uncertainties about compatibility with the D850, is the use of SnapBridge.  The user manual if SnapBridge says that pairing a smartphone with the D850 you can enable the possibility to include geotag data in the metadata of the files.

Has someone tried this and is it a good option?

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
My experience with SnapBridge was abysmal.

There is lots of software (including Lightroom) that will map a gps tracklog to your photos. You can use any gps capable of exporting a tracklog (which is most of them... Garmin, and even smart phone apps like GPS Essentials).

The advantage of using an external gps receiver is it won't drain the batteries of your camera or your phone.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This is exactly what I did.  But they never bothered to reply.  Three attempts so far...

See my answer above.

Do you really want to do business with a supplier who won't answer a probable customer's questions?

larkpics

larkpics

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I just got a Nikon D850 (which needs to be added to the Registration list of cameras) and think SnapBridge is a good start but would like to suggest improvements. It's mostly getting bad press which is unfortunate. Here's some ideas.

1. Add zoom control. Focus works, why not be able to 'pinch' your smartphone and zoom in or out?
  2. Allow video. LiveView works, why not use focus, zoom, with start/stop video?

Just a thought

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag

Do you really want to do business with a supplier who won't answer a probable customer's questions?

Probably not.

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag

At the end, I decided to buy the Columbus V-1000 GPS watch.  It has the advantage of avoiding any battery consuming devices/cables.  It is independent from the cameras.  It generates a GPX or CSV file that keep track of time (to be synchronised with the time of the camera).

Once this file is uploaded into a Mac, and once the pictures of any camera are also uploaded in that MAC, it use an index/match function to assign Latitude, Longiture and Altitude of each photo in its metadata.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d850, gps, columbus, geotagging, accessories