Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advantages to shooting raw?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I'm using two cards in my D7000, a 32gb for the Raws and 16gb for the jpegs. Although I don't really do anything with the jpegs I only use the Raws!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I'm using two cards in my D7000, a 32gb for the Raws and 16gb for the jpegs. Although I don't really do anything with the jpegs I only use the Raws!

So why don't you just shoot raw?

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

As your post-processing skills get better you will look back at some of your earlier efforts and think, "I can do that way better now". If you have the original raw final you're set, no worries. If you just have the jpeg you can still do it, but every time you re-save a jpeg file, it re-compresses it and loses a little quality, if you keep updating your skills/software and keep updating your files (which is very tempting believe me) then it's best to use the raw file that never gets changed by editing (raw editing does not change the raw file, it just records the changes in the file or in a separate file that gets re-applied every time you open the raw file).

Buy more, bigger cards.

ashchuckton

ashchuckton

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOhio USA

Memory has gotten quite inexpensive. Buying a couple of 16 or 32 MB cards will make life easier for you. I agree with you alden, I do not shoot RAW + JPG I see no need to.

DiegoR

DiegoR

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Very useful information for this beginning post production person. Thank you.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I shot about a dozen in raw yesterday morning here at the high school where I work and started processing them in CS4. They are really large files and my laptop (win7) can't do anything with the images until I convert them to JPEG format. So what I've done so far is some editing, then save in raw, then make another save in JPEG.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

As an emergency backup really Alden.As the second card is only 16gb it's not really big enough, I will be getting a second 32 gob card soon so I will just duplicate them and then my backup will be in raw to.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
So, now that I have converted to RAW -- what is the advantage of RAW+JPEG?

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

If the shot is perfect it's already converted for you!