Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advantages to shooting raw?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
I'm not new to photography but I still have lots to learn about some of the digital options. I shoot in JPEG mode because that seems to be the standard but I understand a lot of more professional photography is shot in "raw" mode. What is the difference and why would I want to do that?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The short answer is that raw files capture more detail as they have a higher bit depth (12-14 bits per color channel vs. 8 bits in jpeg files).  In other words, raw files are capable of representing thousands of times as many colors as jpeg files.  This lets you recover shadows/highlights much more effectively and gives you better gradients.

Raw files also include the original sensor data, which means you can apply any white balance profile you want after the fact.  The desktop software that "develops" the raw file may also be able to do a better job of tweaking other parameters than the in-camera JPEG engine.

I shoot in RAW+ these days as this gives you the best of both worlds as long as you have enough memory.  The JPEG file is what I use if little or no editing is required.  On the other hand, if bigger adjustments need to be made, then I edit the raw file and use the jpeg file as a starting point/visual reference.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
Raw+ makes 2 copies then? One raw and one JPEG? I will have to look at my D80 and see if it will this.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

OK i did a couple of test shots, and downloaded them to my computer.

It would not open the RAW images until I downloaded CODEX off the net. 

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Try opening the RAW in PS.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Try opening the RAW in PS.

Wow. This is interesting. 

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

After discovering RAW a few years back I now shoot in Raw and JPEG . Now I've got my D7000 I can save Raws to on sd card and JPEG to the other. It's a great feature that saves me so much time when it comes to organizing my images.

Outdadarwin

Outdadarwin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDarwin River, NT

I only shoot RAW these days, and almost always adjust the white balance, which improves the colour instantly.

Even the basic presets like Shade if the photo was taken in the shade make a big difference.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
Once done editing in photoshop I can save the images as jpegs right?

Outdadarwin

Outdadarwin

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDarwin River, NT

Once done editing in photoshop I can save the images as jpegs right?

Yes that's right.

I actually save the RAW file as a PS file, then Save As JPEG when I'm finished.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I copy all of the images from my CF cards over to my computer to a folder with the date or a relevant name depending on the shots , then make a separate folder that I save my edits to. (Then back everything up to an external Lacie HD which gets itself backed up to another Lacie HD and sometime a double layer BluRay disk).

Francois Marcoux

Francois Marcoux

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey Alden, shooting in JPEG when you have a camera that can shoot in raw, is starting by shooting yourself in the foot, as previous post have mentioned it has to do with the amount of information that is retained. Let's start by what a RAW file is, a RAW file is not a picture, it is a data file which records the output of the sensor. what you see on the camera is a JPEG thumbnail.

This data file allows you so many more possibilities since it has minimal compression compared to JPEG you won't get as much clipping of the colours in the darker range, if the RAW are sent to uncompressed you will have no lower clipping before the physical limits of the sensor, also most colour information is held in the darker range, thus its better to underexpose, than overexpose, as that was the method in the film days.

RAW files either store 12-bit/14-bit of colour information which means it allows for close to the 212 or 214 shades per the three colours that your camera uses RGB. that means that you have 4096 / 16384 shades per channel(colour) respectively. Additionally in most cameras you have the option between sRGB and Adobe RGB (1998), ALWAYS PICK THE LATTER.

Now why would you want so many colours, isn't going to be a excessive file... True, but whenever you bring anything into Ps it is destructive, you are killing pixels, and you can't do anything about it, so the more colours you have the better, and when you finish with an image always save in .psd after.

I would also add that the fact that when you shoot in RAW, if you use the wrong colour temperature you can correct it in Adobe Camera RAW, which is an amazing piece of software. Also using software like NIK from google you can do some awesome tone mappings (HDR from single image), or using neat you can remove most noise from your images without softening it too much.

I have many more disorganized thoughts, but that'll be for another time.

For viewing nikon .NEF files here is the link to the Nikon Codec

index.html

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Sometimes I save my better work as TIFF files after editing the RAW file.  Allows you to go back later and edit more if you need to, without loss of quality.  

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

to K-9

I didn't understand. Why do you need TIFF if you can edit raw so many times as you want and you can come back to the original raw file at any time?

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

This is excellent information.

A lot I still don't completely understand, but I'm learning. 

Why would I want to shoot RAW+? Why make a JPEG at the same time?

Just for convenience sake if I want to upload something to the internet fast?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

to K-9
I didn't understand. Why do you need TIFF if you can edit raw so many times as you want and you can come back to the original raw file at any time?

That's assuming you always still have the original RAW file. Sometimes, I have too many photos and I need to remove some from my computer. If I have the TIFF, it's a better quality copy to reuse later than just a jpeg. Then, I don't have to start edits all over again if I wanted to reuse the RAW down the road.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

This is excellent information.

A lot I still don't completely understand, but I'm learning. 

Why would I want to shoot RAW+? Why make a JPEG at the same time?

Just for convenience sake if I want to upload something to the internet fast?

That is my understanding, though I am a recent convert to RAW.  I am now a believer!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
I'm going to start shooting in RAW without the extra JPEG copy. My memory cards are not that big.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I'm going to start shooting in RAW without the extra JPEG copy. My memory cards are not that big.

I can get around 1.5K on my 32GB CF cards shooting just RAW.   I carry 5 of them in my bag.   That is a LOT of exposures, even on just one card.  

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
I have three cards, two 1GB, and one 4GB. I need another one, a big one.