Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3300/Nikon 80-400 mm AF-S Combo

d3300 80-400 mm

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

gman195674

gman195674

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been looking at bird photos posted on Facebook and am amazed at how crisp and detailed they are.  I asked a friend of mine what lense she was shooting to get these shots and she said a Canon version 80-400 mm, so I bought the Nikon version AF-S 80-400 mm (used-couldn't justify the new price).  I tried it a few time and while some pictures appear OK, when I try to crop they start looking fuzzy around the edges.  Is it me (not quite in focus, vibration, etc) or does this camera not support that much zoom?  I've attached one example...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0005 - Copy.jpg
  • DSC_00051 - Copy.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Can you share the EXIF? What we need to help out is the shooting data (focal length, ISO, shutter speed, aperture and VR setting).

That lens on that body gets a little frontheavy, but it should be possible to use with good technique.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I have that lens so as said above give us your EXIF information.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree EXIF info will likely provide the info we need to assist you.  Other questions that would help - were you using a tripod?  What focus settings were you using?

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

The focus looks to be behind the bird if you look at the water, are you using single point and making sure its on the subject.

gman195674

gman195674

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

400 mm, ISO 100, 1/500, f5.6

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I agree with Mike about the backfocus. If it is the body-lens combination that focuses to the rear, a trip to the service center is advisable to have the AF recalibrated. It might also be a matter of technique, long lenses are much less forgiving and it is harder to get the focus point on-target. Test it under controlled conditions using a tripod and a nice, big focus target.

1/500 @ 400mm is borderline for handholding on DX, you might get better results by raising the ISO a bit and using a faster shutter speed. The 80-400 is slightly soft wide open at the tele end, stopping down to f/7.1 or f/8 might render a sharper photo.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

I think with those settings i would up the ISO 400 should be ok with your camera (you can always start to bring it down when you get more confident) this would give you a shutter speed of 1/2000th.

I still think you have some back focus on the lens or your focus point was not on the subject when you took the picture.

You could follow this video for a front or back focus test, unfortunatlyif you have any you cant adjust it with your camera.

https://www.youtube....h?v=J3XK4hf-NF0

if you download this free Nikon progam it has a setting to show where your focus point was.

https://www.europe-n...ftware/viewnx-i

Ooop posted at the same time as Merco

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

On reflection the video may not be the best way of checking a long lens, you could set a test target about the size of a fag  :D

packet on some short grass,if you look at the image i include it clearly shows the band of sharp focus is on the same plane as the bird,ifits infront or behind you have front or back focus issues.

The quote boxes should be empty i clicked the wrong button

24102337320_f5f27eab78_b.jpgDSC_4321 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

I agree with Mike about the backfocus. If it is the body-lens combination that focuses to the rear, a trip to the service center is advisable to have the AF recalibrated. It might also be a matter of technique, long lenses are much less forgiving and it is harder to get the focus point on-target. Test it under controlled conditions using a tripod and a nice, big focus target.

1/500 @ 400mm is borderline for handholding on DX, you might get better results by raising the ISO a bit and using a faster shutter speed. The 80-400 is slightly soft wide open at the tele end, stopping down to f/7.1 or f/8 might render a sharper photo.

As I said earlier I have that lens. I agree with the others on the Shutter Speed. When extended way out 400 mm 1/500 is too slow unles you are on a tripod. I usually am up in the 1/2000 range.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3300, 80-400 mm