Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hockey Team Photo is Out Of Focus on Right Side

nikon d7100 nikkor 18-200

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Dave B

Dave B

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello,

Occasionally I will be asked to photograph a local hockey team. The photo attached has me puzzled, as you will notice the right side is not in focus. I have not had this happen before although the settings for this photo may have changed from previous requests. If you have any insight please comment.

Nikon D7100 + Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5 - 5.6

1/160 second

F/4.0

ISO 640

20 mm

Flash off

Best regards,_DSC5310-3.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Did you use a tripod?  Overall it looks fairly soft...to my mind the signs on the wall behind the group is more in focus than the rest of it...

Hard to say specifically, especially not having been there to see other options.  However, I think I would have moved back further if possible and used a tripod.  I probably would have raised the ISO some and shot at f5.6 or f8.  With the tripod the 1/160 should be OK.  You are dealing with a superzoom, so you are giving up some image quality compared to shorter range zooms or primes.  The lesser image quality tends to be more evident at the extremes (either end of zoom and aperture) and less evident towards the middle.

speich101

speich101

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
It does seem odd that the right side is more out of focus than the other. With that many rows of people I would do the same as above and set the f-stop to f8 and if you used a tripod I would also slow down the shutter to compensate for the smaller aperture.

I have seen people state that if you use a tripod to turn off the VR. I still need read up on why that is suggested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

20mm, f4 and a crop sensor should be plenty of depth of field for that shot. To me it looks like the lens has an alignment issue or no longer centred. But I am not an expert on these things.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It might be decentered or there might have been some partial condensation on one element. Shoot a brick wall at about the same distance as the team shot to decide which it is. If the uneven sharpness has gone away, it was haze in or on the lens. If it is still there, it is time for a trip to a repair centre.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, d7100, nikkor 18-200