Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Back to Panasonic

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

But its taking time to get into it again.

Panasonic G80 and 100-400

40139520771_5247779434_b.jpgP1100185 by electric.mike, on Flickr

40081874702_2269f60f81_b.jpgP1100101 by electric.mike, on Flickr

40044803862_2f0f7ba3f2_b.jpgP1100139 by electric.mike, on Flickr

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Why?

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Came away from Nikon because the 150-600 lens was too heavy, went back with the D500 and 100-400 but the lens was too short, adding a longer lens would have made it too heavy again.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Lens size/weight is a major advantage of M43… I hear the PL100-400 is very good. But I'm seeing a disturbing trend with some of the newer glass… really surprising to see lenses for M43 costing equal and even significantly more than other OEM's full frame counterparts, considering they're half the size.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

I guess R&D costs the same to cover any size sensor,if the extra cost to us as consumers leads to more R&D and even better lenses ? must be honest though i cant see any lens being more suited to my needs than the 100-400, i dont like primes faster lenses would weigh more so its bodies that interest me.

I was a little disappointed with the cost of the G9  but i guess Olympus set the trend with the 1 mk11.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
I am curious to see what the Mk III brings to the table. I like my G85 but there are questionable design decisions, only one of which was addressed in the G9.

For 2 grand, we should be seeing stacked sensor technology in M43. 

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

A couple more to keep my foot in the door.

25409213777_6090542e7d_b.jpgP1100461 by electric.mike, on Flickr

39384776135_c7212620cb_b.jpgP1100554 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Colin B

Colin B

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPerth Western SAustralia

Whatever camera took those images they are brilliant and that, usually, has more to do with the user than the equipment.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Still waiting for nikon to get into mirrorless but for now.

41211150042_c9708915f1_o.jpgP1120611 by electric.mike, on Flickr

26378358137_ffb12c0dfa_o.jpgP1120706 by electric.mike, on Flickr

26378358117_4b0fdbc3b1_o.jpgP1120689 by electric.mike, on Flickr

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

Still waiting for nikon to get into mirrorless but for now.

Nikon is really gonna need to pull a rabbit out of their hat to compete with the Sony A73.

Frankly... I don't see it happening, buy here's hoping.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon is really gonna need to pull a rabbit out of their hat to compete with the Sony A73.

Frankly... I don't see it happening, buy here's hoping.

I believe they can do it but they have a habit of going their own way thinking the Nikon name on it will be enough.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Lens size/weight is a major advantage of M43… I hear the PL100-400 is very good. But I'm seeing a disturbing trend with some of the newer glass… really surprising to see lenses for M43 costing equal and even significantly more than other OEM's full frame counterparts, considering they're half the size.

My feeling was that the seeds were there since the beginning. M4/3 has never been cheap. Entry level DSLRs were soundly beating entry level M4/3 prices for years, and the very cheapest new M4/3 lenses seemed to run at least double DSLR offerings. My theory is that the companies accepted trying to compete directly on performance against DSLRs would be fruitless, so they decided to fully embrace the capitalist spirit of boldly charging as much or more than the entrenched competition. 

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag

My feeling was that the seeds were there since the beginning. M4/3 has never been cheap. Entry level DSLRs were soundly beating entry level M4/3 prices for years, and the very cheapest new M4/3 lenses seemed to run at least double DSLR offerings. My theory is that the companies accepted trying to compete directly on performance against DSLRs would be fruitless, so they decided to fully embrace the capitalist spirit of boldly charging as much or more than the entrenched competition. 

Just seen this, i think you are out on your prices ignoring the FOV aspect a Nikon 80-400 is just over £2000 a Canon 100-400 just under £2000 Leica 100-400 for m4/3 £1300,if you take FOV into consideration its even cheaper for M4/3 lenses.