Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star trail shooting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Lesmotherwell

Lesmotherwell

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Cable release chords and interval timer setting.
Hi, hoping to get some tips for Star trail shooting. My cable release chord doesn’t seem to continually shoot when locked ( 30 sec exposure) just holds shutter open, not sure if I have the right chord? ( hoping not to have to manually shoot for an hour!) the other thing i’m Not sure about is if I should be using the interval timer setting , but this leaves 30 gaps between exposures ( even with exposure smoothing on) which is not ideal. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Lesley

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

No, you definitely shouldn't be using the interval timer. When you're shooting star trails you're making a single exposure. The interval timer makes multiple exposures in sequence which you then use to create a video. 

Your camera should be able to make long exposures by itself. Your shutter release cord would simply start the exposure. Set the camera to manual and adjust the exposure time to 30 seconds or so, and shoot with the lens at it's widest aperture. I would start with an ISO setting in the 3200 range and adjust as needed.

I would also cover the lens with something dark... a piece of black cardboard works. Then open the shutter and, after the shutter is open, remove the cover. Just be sure not to actually touch the camera/lens with whatever you're using to cover the lens. This prevents mirror movement from ruining the shot. Of course a sturdy tripod is a necessity. 

There are others here who do this far more often than I. Hopefully, one of them with jump in with some corrections and/or suggestions.

Good luck and welcome to the forums, Lesley!

--Ron

Oh, one other suggestion. When asking for assistance, you're far more likely to receive pertinent help if you provide us with a short list of the equipment (Camera, lenses, etc) that you're using.

Lesmotherwell

Lesmotherwell

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the help. I use a Nikon D7200 with a cheap cable release cord I bought online. All good with setting the long exposure , just can't seem to get the release chord to continually fire in the lock mode. Maybe it's a dodgy chord! I read somewhere else to just use a band and a pen on the camera shutter release button and that seems to work ok. Will give it a try next time the sky is clear! Cheers for your help, Lesley

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

You'll need way longer than 30 seconds for star trails, so you'll probably be able to use ISO 100. Of course the amount of movement you'll see over time depends on the focal length of your lens, but with an ultrawide, 30 seconds will give you almost no perceivable movement.

Pretty sure the D7200 has a 'T' shutter mode (press once to open, and again to close).

earthshaker

earthshaker

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I use several shorter exposures to accomplish what I want to do, in this case 10, 120 second exposures then stack them in StarStax or Sequator

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0197.jpg