Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 28 January 2018

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 28 January 2018, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. Peter is running a fun single-lens challenge--everyone is welcome to play. Just look for the One Week, One Camera, One Lens thread in the mini-challenge forums.

P.P.S. The editing exercises are taking a break at the moment, but feel free to play around in the old exercises. 

​P.P.S.S. LAST CALL! Please share with us a few of your best photos of 2017 over on this thread: Your best photos of 2017 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I have worked quite a lot with models, but never done any nudes. Until now. I was approached by a model visiting my town who was experienced in this field and arrangements were made. I wanted to keep it in the art nude world, not glamour. I obviously can't show everything in this forum...

39796131332_8b07a0a2d6_b.jpg

Mikayla by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

And...

39797480452_e2ef221caf_c.jpg

Mikayla by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

If you do wish to see the rest you can view them here. WARNING, you will see the rest of her, so if that offends you, don't go there.

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

ISO 500, f/11, 1/200, 500mm, tripod.

Attached Thumbnails

• Purple Bougainvillea  (1 of 1).jpg

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I'm going again. The first photos were the previous week anyway  :D

Took this the other morning as I traveled down to go to a Foo Fighters concert (was amazing!) This is the Glasshouse Mountains, named by Lt James Cook as he sailed the east coast of Australia, in search of the southern continent to colonize. This is with my DJI Mavic. Using it's auto-exposure bracketing to take 5 photos HDR blended then merged with 8 others to get the full stitched panorama. 45 photos all up. The mavic's sensor is not that great, hence the HDR blending. Nor is it that wide, so I stitch images together. I'm honestly not all that impressed with the quality from it.  :( 

26052227538_bccbfcc67c_k.jpg

Glasshouse Mountains Sunrise by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

39897787601_e1266a782b_b.jpgPES_2018-01-25_15-51-37_24mm_ by merco_61, on Flickr

Model: NIKON D7200
Lens (mm): 24 (AF-S Nikkor 24/1.8 ED)
ISO: 320
Aperture: 6.3
Shutter: 1/40
Exp. Comp.: -1.0

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

4C3416B4-E59F-4FF2-A70D-01367F8B8112.jpeg 73E8992E-0E99-4FEE-8EA9-2803C9510808.jpeg F031EEE1-17DE-4D90-95BF-4F49AC0A78D9.jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• E4257791-5B3F-4527-9431-4ACB1FA2D8D4.jpeg

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Sorry I'm late.  It was warm enough to get the boat out this weekend.  Lots of great blue heron activity, but lots of cloud cover, too.  I had almost forgotten how difficult it is to hold the big zoom lens steady while on a moving boat.  I like this one:

25098597747_2da7ffbc34_o.jpg

silhouette by Mark, on Flickr

D810, Tamron 150-600 @ 600mm, f/8, 1/1000", ISO 160

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Gorgeous work, Darryl, as always--both with the model and with the drone. The drone image looks pretty good from where I'm sitting. We have an Autel Robotics drone, and I've been rather impressed with the image quality. But less impressed with the photo content. Ahem. And that would be completely my fault. 

Bill, very nice color and detail in that shot. At 500mm?! Wow. Glad you had the tripod! That's definitely not the subject matter I'd expect with that lens--or perhaps I should say, for that subject matter I wouldn't expect that lens. :) Pretty cool!

Peter, an intriguing shot from you that begs for exploration from the viewer. The perspective is really appealing--was your camera on the ground? That pile of leaves in the foreground makes for a lovely frame. And since when have you been on Flickr?

Steve, great set. I was trying to pick a favorite but found things that I really like in all of them. I think I might finally choose the train with the city scape as my fave--I especially like the curve of the tracks...your composition seems to lead the eye so smoothly from the train along the tracks to the city.

Mark, that silhouette and the moody sky work so well together. Love this image. And please tell me you had some sort of tripod or something--I can't even imagine trying to use that lens on a boat. I can barely handle it handheld in normal conditions--on a boat...yeah, that wouldn't be working for me.

So, I have a photo to share. I had a photo shoot for a commercial project on Saturday--I've been hired to shoot...ahem, get ready for this excitement...rugs. Heh. I'm shooting rag rugs for a fiber arts publication. Not terribly exciting, but it was one of the most physical shoots I've ever done. So much squatting and bending over and climbing up on stools...I was just a bit sore the next day. Anyway, we got through almost 30 rugs on Saturday--gotta go back for the rest of them soon. 

In addition to full-length shots, they've asked for some detail shots for each rug, so here's a detail from one of them. The weaver wanted to show the braided fringe on this one...

39268505784_af43911cbe_o.jpgRugs Project by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

And what the heck, here's another one. One of the weavers had a cute little boxer with her. Sweet old guy named Ferris. And some of my macro shots have dog hair in them. Ugh. 

39268506084_7472de6849_o.jpgFerris by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

I wasn't set up to take a dog portrait--just grabbed it quick when he came over to say hi.

D810, 24-70 on both images. Used natural light from a north-facing window camera right.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

It was warm enough here for the boat too...well, at least for some...our boys took the skiff out and we saw a few other boats.  One happened by while I had the camera out...

Jan60Degrees-0118.jpg

D500, 200-400, f4, 1/1000, ISO 400

I hadn't planned on an "action shot" but you can see it still wasn't exactly "warm"...Just for fun I cropped one of the few shots of the boat a bit differently...It seemed like an interesting abstract kind of image...

Jan60Degrees-0124.jpg

Same settings...

I also took some shots of a couple of pelicans...

Jan60Degrees-0130.jpg

D500, 200-400, f4, 1/400, ISO 400

Jan60Degrees-0116.jpg

D500, 200-400, f5, 1/125, ISO 400

I grabbed the combo because there were a few real pelicans flying and diving behind the house.  They disappeared as soon as the camera came out...one stuck around on the other side of the creek long enough for me to take a couple of images, but was still too far away for the 200-400...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nicole, yes, the camera was on the ground. I am glad the D7200 uses the by now very stable WMU instead of Snapbridge...

I have had my Flickr account for about 4 years, but not used it much until now.

The pond was around when Carl Linnaeus documented it and used it for excursions. It has been renovated some times since then, but is mostly like it was in the 1700-s, with the exception of some fountains that can be seen in some of my shots from the same area over the years.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
8a6b4a2ce99eec121814c26f40cd8be7.jpg
D90 IR converted Nikkor 18-55/3.5-5.6 34mm f8 1/60s@ISO200

and for those who prefer a colour version of some part of the picture

eb42e617d11abb1cf4cd1790a969716c.jpg
D500 Tamron 70-200/2.8 70mm f10 1/400@ISO320