Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Memory card for D7000

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

paulro

paulro

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

This is my first post having just bought a D7000 camera.

I read slightly confusing posts last night and this is probably the best place to clear it up.

I am new to digital cameras so please excuse my ignorance.

what exactly do I need?

I've looked at Sandisk 32g 45mb/s which seems to be recommended but it seems scarce, in fact I can't find one on Amazon.

There's lots of 32g 90mb/s. Are they suitable?

So, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Paul

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Sandisk extreme cards are my go-to.  The extreme and extreme pro models should give you close to optimal performance all around.

Details on card basics can be found here:

Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
My D7000 has two 32gb cards. The RAW slot is 90mb/s, the JPEG slot is 45mb/s.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It used to be that the cards that are faster than 45MB/s were much more expensive. Today the Ultras with 80 MB/s are the sweet spot between price and performance. The Extremes @ 90 MB/s are sometimes easier to find. Extreme PRO offers very little advantage in a D7000 as the bus in the camera can't use the speed. Sandisk no longer recommend their 48 MB/s for anything more demanding than compact cameras.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

My D7000 has two 32gb cards. The RAW slot is 90mb/s, the JPEG slot is 45mb/s.

I don't' think buying card that is faster than your camera will hurt you.  Your camera will only run at the speed it is capable of.   Don't buy a card that is slower than what your camera is capable of as it will slow your camera down.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

With my D7000 I see a definite improvement in both writing and reading speed with high speed cards. I'm currently using Lexar cards but will probably return to using Sandisk cards now that Lexar has been sold to another company which probably won't use Micron memory chips.

The best Sandisk cards I've used in my D7000 were the Extreme Pro 90mb/s cards. Peter may be right in saying that they are overkill for the D7000 but I thought they were worth the investment.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Ron, the 90 MB/s Extreme PROs were last generation. They are now moved down to the Extreme position in the lineup.

Why does everybody write about millibit per second :P ?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

With my D7000 I see a definite improvement in both writing and reading speed with high speed cards. I'm currently using Lexar cards but will probably return to using Sandisk cards now that Lexar has been sold to another company which probably won't use Micron memory chips.

The best Sandisk cards I've used in my D7000 were the Extreme Pro 90mb/s cards. Peter may be right in saying that they are overkill for the D7000 but I thought they were worth the investment.

--Ron

It really depends on when you buy them...I have some of the same exact label with the exception of speeds because they were purchased a couple of years apart...

Most of my XQD and CF cards are Lexar and a few years old.  Most of my SD cards are SanDisk with some Lexar...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Ron, the 90 MB/s Extreme PROs were last generation. They are now moved down to the Extreme position in the lineup.

Why does everybody write about millibit per second :P ?

I haven't bought Sandisk cards in quite awhile so I really don't know much about their current lineup. I guess I'll find out soon. 

Laziness is my excuse (and I'm sticking to it). Capitalization has consequences. :rolleyes:

It really depends on when you buy them...I have some of the same exact label with the exception of speeds because they were purchased a couple of years apart...

Most of my XQD and CF cards are Lexar and a few years old.  Most of my SD cards are SanDisk with some Lexar...

I did use to find Sandisk labeling to be somewhat confusing.

I stopped using Sandisk cards after having one of them eat some very important images. And, Lexar seemed to be all the rage at the time. I still have a few Lexar cards with Micron memory left but when they're done, I'm back to Sandisk I guess.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

what ever you do. do not by cheap cards get one that has over 80mb/s or better. our have quality issues when trying to read and transfer rate 

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag

Tests for D7100 rather D7000 but Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s would still be my choice:

Nikon D7100 SD Card Speed Tests - Fastest memory cards for D7100 - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards