Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5100 v. Full Frame

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArbroath, Scotland.

Site Supporter

Hi folks, i have a D5100 and love it but i am always seeing people banging on about how you should progress up to a full frame camera.  Picture wise only, what would i really benefit from by doing so.

Your thoughts/opinions please.

Ian.

:unsure:

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
Back in the days of film, upgrading from 35mm to medium format made a big difference. But at least some of that difference was probably down to upgrading to better lenses.

A full frame sensor will be an improvement over APS-C, but would you notice enough difference to justify the cost?

If you're happy with the gear you've got, stick with it. My 6mp D40 still takes excellent pictures, I only upgraded to the 10mp D80 because the deal I was offered was to good to be turned down. Both of them take better pictures than higher mp mobile phones!

singlerosa

singlerosa

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Better Image Quality (IQ), ability to shoot at higher ISO (less noise/better dynamic range), shallower DOF.  When I got my D600, I put on my 50 1.4 and took a few shots,  I could immediately tell the difference from my D7000. 

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

So if you took two sets of shots, one with a D5100 and 1 with the D600 and blind tested them you could pick out the D600, Yes?  That would be the only test that would make me think about changing.

Thanks for the replies,

Ian.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

So if you took two sets of shots, one with a D5100 and 1 with the D600 and blind tested them you could pick out the D600, Yes?  That would be the only test that would make me think about changing.

Thanks for the replies,

Ian.

It depends on the resolution, but even often with a 1000px web-sized image you should be able to tell the difference.

I've written an article on the topic here:

How & Why Sensor Size Affects Image Quality (APS-C vs FF vs compact) - PentaxForums.com

Mark Fischer

Mark Fischer

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Aside from know advantages of full frame. What size prints are you going to printing? Also what type of photography are doing? I have thoight of going to full frame for the ISO sensitivity but dx sensors are catching up.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I'm hoping the cost of FX comes down a bit in the coming years so I can afford to buy one. 

DCB

DCB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationFL

I have a 16x20 print from my D40 (great little camera) that is great. Unless you are making wall size prints not sure if you will notice a huge difference.

Just my opinion.

Interesting read...

The Truth About Digital Cameras - The New York Times

Peace

kbtimages

kbtimages

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustralia

I would advise you invest in better lenses rather than a new body. I can highly recommend the 85mm 1.8G and 50mm 1.8G or even the Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC lenses.  You can see samples of my work here.

http://www.fluidr.co...tos/ukphotoart/

I own a D700 but have started to use my 3200 paired with the 85mm more often.  I forgot my lens hood hence the lens flare.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
Kb- why do you like the 3200 better now?

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

The picture on my profile page was taken with my 3100, I have it blown up on our livingroom wall , 100 x 70, it's as clear as it is on here. They would have to reduce the price of FX and lenses for me to even think about changing. Now that I've just got my 7100.

• DCB likes this

DCB

DCB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationFL

If you want to try full frame cheap.... get a 35mm film camera and scan the negatives. 

Peace

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

The larger viewfinder is my favorite thing about full frame. Second would be the true to 35mm film focal lengths. I like an 85mm to be an 85mm and not 125mm.

kbtimages

kbtimages

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustralia

Kb- why do you like the 3200 better now?

Its not that I like it better its about the scenerios. I don't need the speed or dynamic range of the full frame when not shooting sports or in low light situations. The D3200 is far lighter and I can easily fit into a small bag with a flash and reflector and just go shoot.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I would advise you invest in better lenses rather than a new body. I can highly recommend the 85mm 1.8G and 50mm 1.8G or even the Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC lenses.  You can see samples of my work here.

http://www.fluidr.co...tos/ukphotoart/

I own a D700 but have started to use my 3200 paired with the 85mm more often.  I forgot my lens hood hence the lens flare.

Just had a look at your picture, they are really good. Were they with your 3200? 

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hi, some great answers and links there, thanks all.  But, as a guy who just like trying to take nice pics i don't thing the difference is worth the expense.  Maybe i would think about it more if photography was my living, but as a keen amateur i think my D5100 is fine.

Thanks again, loving the way people dive in with advice and opinions on this forum.

Ian. 

kbtimages

kbtimages

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustralia

Just had a look at your picture, they are really good. Were they with your 3200? 

If you look at the Exif data you will see there is a mixture of D700 and D3200 shots in my recent work. All the white dress ones were shot with the D3200 and 85mm 1.8g

headingsouth

headingsouth

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Even older full frame cameras still outdo current APS-C though.

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Interesting read...

The Truth About Digital Cameras - The New York Times

Peace

Yep, an interesting read.  I don't understand why so many people chase Mega Pixels then all they do is print 8 x 10's of the kids  ;)

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag
Another nice thing about the upper level bodies is the superior control. You can experience those on the upper level apsc cameras as well. My suggestion would be to keep what you have for now, and buy fx compatible lenses. Upgrade in a few years, FF bodies are becoming more mainstream, and prices are coming down.