Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 21 January 2018

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 21 January 2018, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. Peter is running a fun single-lens challenge--everyone is welcome to play. Just look for the One Week, One Camera, One Lens thread in the mini-challenge forums.

P.P.S. The editing exercises are taking a break at the moment, but feel free to play around in the old exercises. 

​P.P.S.S. Please share with us a few of your best photos of 2017 over on this thread: Your best photos of 2017 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

ISO 400, f/6.3, 450mm, 1/6400, heavily cropped

Osprey hunting over the lake

Attached Thumbnails

• Osprey soaring over lake III.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

gallery_1251_613_1177452.jpg

Model: NIKON D7200
Lens (mm): 24 (AF-S Nikkor 24/1.8 ED)
ISO: 280
Aperture: 4
Shutter: 1/250

I used flash to catch the falling snowflakes.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I have to go with this one, a rose in January.  The one flower on my neighbors rose bush.

D750, nikon 105 macro, 1/160 @ f7.1, iso 200, 105mm

Attached Thumbnails

• neighbors rose.jpg

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I know the goal is to tell a story with a single photo, but for this story I think we need the series...  Focus is a bit soft.  My apologies.

From a walk in the park today:

28043974769_518c47b682_o.jpg

now that's a meal by Mark, on Flickr

24952217737_77fb6b549e_o.jpg

in position by Mark, on Flickr

39790452022_f52253fe08_o.jpg

down the hatch by Mark, on Flickr

39790456702_8b5e8d9c16_o.jpg

eat and run by Mark, on Flickr

D810, Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 @ 600mm, f/6.3, 1/1250", ISO 1000 except #4 which went to ISO 1100

Natural light, manual with auto-ISO, auto-focus on D9, all are cropped.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Over the weekend, my wife and I made a quick trip to our house on the water...We headed down mostly to check on the house after some very cold weather (for North Carolina) and a couple of snow storms.  I am going to guess we got about 5 inches close to Raleigh in the storm that started this past Wednesday and from what I was able to gather, the storm started as freezing rain before changing over to all snow in Oriental, ending up with a few inches of snow as well.  

We drove down on Friday after I got off work, so it was dark when we got to the house.  It had gotten up into the 50s (F) on Friday so we knew there had been some melting already.  I took the two (phone) images about 9:15 on Saturday morning.  At that time, the water out to the end of our dock was mostly still frozen.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

While you really can't see it in the second image, there is a loon (bird) out in the center of the creek behind the sailboat.  From the little I have read, it seems like they migrate south from Canada / Northern US during the winter.  It was a beautiful bird - google their sound if you have never heard it and you won't forget it!  I had heard their call on TV but had never seen them or heard them otherwise.  With a short, busy trip, we packed as little as possible (which including leaving my cameras at home) so I didn't even try to capture the bird...maybe next trip if its still around!

By noon, I couldn't find any more ice on the water.  There was lots more melting with 60+ (F) temperatures Saturday and Sunday too!

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Took the D3200 (with its dive housing) with me for a dive

6c1ac2ff39c7337c92685a185eeb32fe.jpg
D3200 2 1200 lumen lights with an opening of 120°

While on the way to drive to the quary I came along a spot where I couldn’t resist to take a picture

967ef7179c8a9fb036b1e15f8803aaba.jpg

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Something interesting from me, (For a Change).

This was the first shot I took with the then newly acquired Nikon D200 and Nikon 18~70mm Lens.

Late this week, as I unfortunately took a hard spill right in my own home.  Now able to get around with at least the help of a cane.  

The best thing I can say about old age is:  I really #@&%++*%@@# Hate it.  :(

1/60s, F/4.5, ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode, Focal Length 70mm, Used Nikon SB-24 Spdlite with CWA Metering.

Thanks so much for viewing.

TT

Attached Thumbnails

• _VE09711.JPG

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Hey, I actually got my camera out last week! 

Lovely work from everyone--thanks for sharing your images here. 

Bill10385, that osprey looks great. It's pretty cool that we can see right where it's looking. I see you were at 450mm--was that with a 150-600 lens? I'm seeing some stuff from you guys that makes me want to get mine out. I hardly ever use it and should probably sell it if I'm not going to get serious with it. :)

Peter, I like it. I hadn't thought to use flash on snow--thanks for the idea. I'd really like to figure out how to shoot rain so you can see the raindrops as little streaks. I've seen it done but haven't been able to replicate it.

Dean, that is exquisite. I can't believe you got that much depth of field--I see you were at f/7.1, but I get such tiny slices of focus with my 105mm... Beautiful detail and color.

Mark, I'm glad you showed the whole story!! Nice storytelling--love that bulge in the neck on number 3. We know what's in there. :) Yet another reminder I need to be using my 150-600 much more often. You're doing great work with it. 

Tom, I'm a bit envious of your life on the water...even if it's been a bit colder than usual there. Still impressed with the quality of the images you're getting out of your phone. I've been using mine quite a bit lately too. I hope you get a chance to photograph that loon!

Jerry! Wow! The underwater image is quite the departure from what we usually see from you--very cool though! I'd love to try that someday. Love the dreamy windmills too.

Tony, sorry to hear about your fall--are you okay now? Thanks for sharing an image here--is that actually recessed into the wall? Pretty cool idea, if so. How are you liking the D200?

My nephew came down to Utah this weekend for a high school robotics competition--his team took first place, so they get to go to the national competition. They're middle schoolers, so I thought it was pretty cool they beat all the high school students. Anyway, it wasn't far from our house, so I went to watch and took some photos.

Both were shot with the D810. First one with the Tamron 70–200, second with the Nikkor 24-70.

25984389748_4beb17e5d5_b.jpgVex Robotics Competition 2018 by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

25984394508_e6cb6a5376_b.jpg20180120-VeVex Robotics Competition 2018xRoboticsCompetition-8542 by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nicole, You either have to be in a hell of a rain shower:

gallery_1251_413_162087.jpg

1/15

f/5.6

ISO 250

Or use a polarizer, carefully aligned to get the maximum contrast between the rain and the background. A dark background helps, of course, just like it does for dewy spider's webs.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Nicole - thanks for the comments.  I like that lens when there's plenty of light and I can get shutter speed high enough.  One of these days I'll invest in a monopod.  I think it would help.  I think I'd call your first shot "concentration".  My favorite is the second one, though.  Love the perspective focusing through the rails.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Hi Nicole,

Thanks so much for your concern.  Yes, I am getting around better each day.  The image that I posted here, is of a mirror with a reflection of the opposite side of our living room.  Glad you like it.  I really do enjoy having a Nikon again.  I like the D200 quite well, however I am more impressed with the 18~70mm lens.  18mm gives me plenty of room for some cityscapes and some landscapes, while the 70mm gets me in close enough for some decent macros.  I am looking forward to using it soon for portraits.  Thanks again,

TT