Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D500 issues....

d500

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

mikej1962

mikej1962

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I seem to be having some issues with my D500. First of all a couple of weeks ago I had the problem that the camera "stuck" on F22.

No matter what lens I used it would not move off that aperture. I contacted Nikon support and after running through a few test procedures they were unsure what the problem might be.

I was about to pack up the camera to send off, when I thought I'd try taking out the XQD/SD cards and trying again. Hey presto! Everything worked okay again...... Or so I thought.

So, I now have a new problem.

If I set the camera quality to Raw & Jpeg, only jpeg works - no Raw. 

However, if I set Raw only then that works fine. 

So I tried a different SD card ( I haven't got a spare XQD yet) and the same problem continued. So I can't work out if the problem is with the camera or the cards. Seems more like the camera to me though. 

I reset the camera to original factory settings. I've made sure the camera firmware is up to date, and the cards have all been formatted in camera.

If anyone's got any thoughts or advice I'd be grateful.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Raw+jpeg can be confusing with some software as you have to set your editor to show both, otherwise only the jpg will be shown. If you go to the folder in Finder or Explorer, both files will be there if that is the problem.

Do you ingest the files with a card reader or the camera? Do you save nef on one and jpg on the other or both on the same card? What software do you use for ingesting?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I was thinking the same thing...try writing RAW to one card and JPEG to the other and then only review the card with RAW images...if you see the RAW images, check the other card for JPEG images...

mikej1962

mikej1962

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Yeah, all sorted now. Think the reset threw me for a minute.

Geoffp13

Geoffp13

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I too have been having very strange issues with my D500. Lens hunting even when I was not touching it. Rear screen not working at all. Camera still shoots OK. Tried different batteries and it sometimes worked and stopped. To cut a long story short I read the above and so removed and replaced my Lexar XQD card and low and behold works normally again. Really weird !!

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,801 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Media cards have a lot to answer for!

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

Although the issue got resolved, this actually is hard to explain since it eliminates the number one suspect SD card mix-up. The possible reasons could be the camera is incorrectly commanding the aperture closed at all settings due to some internal failure. I think that your software configured to load only JPG previews of RAW files or it's "telling" that these are JPGs while files actually RAW.

Go to any file proprieties and check what size it (RAW would be ~20 MB).

Also check how fast the uploading from camera is - if it's fast meaning no RAW-JPG conversion done and what you see is JPG preview (~3 MB file size). Check this, https://www.stellari...fixes.php#error

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d500