Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What dx nikon lenses?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

tomthetank

tomthetank

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Finally got the d500. shooting milky way and trains. dawn to dusk. and some sports . Did some research and wanted to see what nikon lenses only you recommend some say 18-300 while others say several just wanted to see and hear some thoughts. Thanks  Tom

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That depends on whether picture quality or convenience is more important. The greater the zoom range, the more compromises have been made to get that range.

Another factor is if you need the 16-18 mm range that only the 16-80 and 16-85 have of the normal zooms.

For me, the choice would be between the 16-80 and the 16-85, depending on funds available with an FX 70-300 VR to cover the rest of the range.

tomthetank

tomthetank

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

thanks looking into those later today for research thanks

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

here another idea is there store or place near you that rents lens or will let you try the lens out. also what Merco_61 said is true. having longer range will effect photos too. i should know when trying to shoot soccer games at long range of my lens cause action pictures to look blurry 

tomthetank

tomthetank

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

That depends on whether picture quality or convenience is more important. The greater the zoom range, the more compromises have been made to get that range.

Another factor is if you need the 16-18 mm range that only the 16-80 and 16-85 have of the normal zooms.

For me, the choice would be between the 16-80 and the 16-85, depending on funds available with an FX 70-300 VR to cover the rest of the range.

did some research and this is what i'm looking at not necessarily be able to purchase for the d 500. want to stick with nikon brand.

17-55 2.8

60mm 2.8

70-300 vrg full frame  that you suggested

not sure about the 24mm, 105 fisheye 

hearing mixed reviews on keh about used any one else that you know is trustworthy? Thanks for the help Tom

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

There are two things to remember about the 17-55. The first is that it is a very old lens, it was introduced together with the 4 MP D2H mid-year 2003 and the second is that it is heavy, it masses 755g, compared to the 16-80 @480. 275 g doesn't sound like much, but wait until you have carried it for half a day... It is still a good lens, but the 16-80 is both cheaper and less to carry.

The only US vendors for used equipment I have bought from are KEH and B&H, I have nothing but good experience from either.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I've bought used from both KEH and B&H without issues...all good there...

What kind of sports?  Day or night?  Indoor or outdoor?

I like the 16-80 / 16-85 recommendation along with the 17-55 as options on the wider end of the scale.  The 70-300 is a good range for some sports but will be tough for indoor or night games...70-200 is your best starting point for a sports lens...It is very sharp and quite possibly my favorite lens...

You can also check borrowlenses.com or one of several gear rental sites and rent a lens to try out to see how it meets your needs in your hands...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My idea behind going for the 16-80/70-300 combo is that you will then learn from experience what the limitations are and get more gear that solves problems for you, not what we tell you to get. They are both *very* good, capable tools even if more specialized lenses are better in some situations.

What use do you see for the 60? If you want it as a nice portrait lens with close-up capabilities, it is the correct tool but if you want to play with some real macro work, it is a bit short in focal length as the working distance gets so short. A third-party 90 or 100 mm macro lens or an old MicroNikkor 105/4 of any flavour will make life easier if you want to play @1:2 or so.

tomthetank

tomthetank

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

There are two things to remember about the 17-55. The first is that it is a very old lens, it was introduced together with the 4 MP D2H mid-year 2003 and the second is that it is heavy, it masses 755g, compared to the 16-80 @480. 275 g doesn't sound like much, but wait until you have carried it for half a day... It is still a good lens, but the 16-80 is both cheaper and less to carry.

The only US vendors for used equipment I have bought from are KEH and B&H, I have nothing but good experience from either.

thanks , appreciate the help

tomthetank

tomthetank

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

I've bought used from both KEH and B&H without issues...all good there...

What kind of sports?  Day or night?  Indoor or outdoor?

I like the 16-80 / 16-85 recommendation along with the 17-55 as options on the wider end of the scale.  The 70-300 is a good range for some sports but will be tough for indoor or night games...70-200 is your best starting point for a sports lens...It is very sharp and quite possibly my favorite lens...

You can also check borrowlenses.com or one of several gear rental sites and rent a lens to try out to see how it meets your needs in your hands...

looking to do railroad day and night , well dawn to dusk, some sports, milky way

want to have flexibility.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

never had issue with keh. i have used filters and add parts also got a use 12-24 from them and its great no issue with it works like charm. if any you from keh does not work to your standers they will take it back. 

did some research and this is what i'm looking at not necessarily be able to purchase for the d 500. want to stick with nikon brand.

17-55 2.8

60mm 2.8

70-300 vrg full frame  that you suggested

not sure about the 24mm, 105 fisheye 

hearing mixed reviews on keh about used any one else that you know is trustworthy? Thanks for the help Tom

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Any movement at night and you are going to want at least f4 and probably f2.8...the 70-300 might be tough at times with the low light shooting, but other than that it is a great lens from the images I've seen...