Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advice needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

My FM2 has died again. I had it repairedonce but the Mirroris stuck in the up position and other than pulling it down by hand ( it goes backup when I let go of it) it will not come down. I  still have the FE that works but am considering An FA or even an F4  Not sure which would be better for a replacement. I am leaning towards an F4. any thing I might need to be aware of with either of these bodies? what to look out for etc. If I get on and it needs attention is there someone that is reliable to repair either   

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you decide on an F4, look in the finder for LCD bleed. Both the F3 and the F4 are old enough that the small LCD modules can go bad.

Another thing to look for is scratched focusing screens as some users just remove the prism when shooting low-angle shots instead of getting either the waist-level or the stovepipe finder.

The F4 was the top of the line in it's day and is a sturdy, dependable workhorse. The FA is a good prosumer body, but it is "just" an FE2 with even more electronics and not overbuilt to the degree of the single-digits.

XJLanzaro

XJLanzaro

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

If you want another mechanical camera, I would definitely consider a lightly used F2AS. They use the more modern silicon photodiodes and led meter instead of the CdS cells and needle that the older F2 models used, but more importantly they meter with AI lenses instead of the old auto-indexing lenses. Also, they are built like a tank and should last for generations if taken care of. 

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks Peter.

I am leaning heavily toward the F4. I like that I can mount my preAi 55 micro on it Like I can on the FE., as well as my more modern lenses. I knew  to look for the bleed but had not considered needing to pay extra attention to the focusing screen. That is the kind of information I was looking for. 

XJLanzaro

Thanks

I'll check out the F2AS. I assume it is an updated version of the F2. Correct?

XJLanzaro

XJLanzaro

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

XJLanzaro

Thanks

I'll check out the F2AS. I assume it is an updated version of the F2. Correct?

Yep, the F2AS is the most advanced, up to date version of the F2 with modern center-weighted Ai metering. It also supports stop down metering with non-ai lenses by flipping up the Ai tab on the viewfinder, it's an absolute pleasure to use. 

carylee2002

carylee2002

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a F4s and F2A...and to be honest...I prefer the F2 for its weight and overall build. 

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The F4 won out. There is an F4E waiting at the Post Office for me to go sign for. Hopefully I will have it in my hands tomorrow night.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Congrats!

I think you will like it. How old is it?

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It is a later one The serial # starts with 254

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

That makes it an early 1996 one. That's good as it will have the redesigned LCDs that are less prone to the bleed problems. Will you run it with eneloops or dry cells?

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Not known at this time.  I have a set of el cheapo  batteries in it right now for testing. probably stay with Duracells  for the time being. . I am considering an MB20 for it . I weighed it on our digital kitchen scales. with the MB23 6 batteries and the 24/2.8 it weighed in at 4 pounds.