Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D850 Electronic VR desactivated. Why?

electronic vr nikon d850 video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

Hello

I got recently a Nikon D850.  I am trying to test movies production with it.

In prssing the i button, I have various options to choose image area, definition, microphot setting etc. and at the end "Electronic VR".  However, this function is greyed and cant be activiated.  Why ?

Cant we have this option of VR (image stabilization)?.  If not, why it this option being shown.  If yes, how can we activiate it ?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Isn't the electronic VR a filming-only thing? If you use a VR lens, it will work as usual. One good reason to use IBIS instead of the in-lens system when filming is that the sound of the VR working can get picked up by the microphone.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I think I read this function only works if shooting in 1080P? If shooting in 4K it is disabled.... I think?

Either way it is no different to what can be done in post in Premiere etc.

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

OK.  I guess this is not  key feature as long as the VR mode of any lens should work.  I presume it also works when panning?

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I watched the Fstoppers D850 review the other day and they had awful time with the electronic shake reduction and panning. Was better turned off.

Doesn't seem to be a feature all that worthwhile just yet. Be better off picking up stabilised lenses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electronic vr, nikon d850, video