Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shutter lag at minimum aperture on prime lens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

tvithlani

tvithlani

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi  - hoping someone can help me.  I'm using an AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens with a Nikon D7500 in Aperture priority mode, AF-S.  Shots at the maximum aperture (1.8) are great - awesome depth of field.  However, when I step down the aperture, there is increasingly longer shutter lag and very blurry pics, starting at around f/7.1.  At f/16, the shutter lag and blurriness are ridiculous.  Anyone know if this is normal or if I need to adjust some camera settings?

Thank you!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi  - hoping someone can help me.  I'm using an AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens with a Nikon D7500 in Aperture priority mode, AF-S.  Shots at the maximum aperture (1.8) are great - awesome depth of field.  However, when I step down the aperture, there is increasingly longer shutter lag and very blurry pics, starting at around f/7.1.  At f/16, the shutter lag and blurriness are ridiculous.  Anyone know if this is normal or if I need to adjust some camera settings?

Thank you!

The smaller the aperture, the longer the shutter speed.  Sounds like there may not be enough available light for a narrow aperture to be used- or you need to increase the ISO.

In low light, it's usually a good idea to shoot toward the wider end of the aperture range.

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag

However, when I step down the aperture, there is increasingly longer shutter lag and very blurry pics, starting at around f/7.1.  At f/16, the shutter lag and blurriness are ridiculous.

Hi. It sounds like you are shooting handheld and confusing shutter lag (how responsive the camera is to pressing the shutter release) with shutter speed (how long the sensor is exposed to light).

If you are shooting f/16 indoors, the shutter speed can easily be a few seconds. Hence the blurry photos due to the camera shake. Have you tried doing the same using a tripod?

Doti B

Doti B

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi. It sounds like you are shooting handheld and confusing shutter lag (how responsive the camera is to pressing the shutter release) with shutter speed (how long the sensor is exposed to light).

If you are shooting f/16 indoors, the shutter speed can easily be a few seconds. Hence the blurry photos due to the camera shake. Have you tried doing the same using a tripod?

+1 for this explanation

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree...if you can post an example and maybe some EXIF info (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) I expect you will find that your problems started occurring when your shutter speed got slow enough that the image showed camera shake (your movement during the exposure).  Dem's suggestion of a tripod might solve that problem, but won't help if your subject is potentially moving...