Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

P520 quit automatic adustment

p520

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Philip

Philip

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I've had my P520 for over a year, and what just stopped working was working fine the whole time.  I make my living with this camera!!  Literally.  I use it for technical and publication photos, and have been mostly very happy.  The few things it won't do - it wasn't designed to do.

The automatic adjustment was working beautifully, but now when in Shutter priority, no matter what I set the speed to, or whether I aim it at very bright or very dark targets, the f stop is locked at 3.

The same was happening in Aperture priority, until I hit "reset all" in the menu.  At the moment, A is working; but if I change anything, it quits again.  And I need to be able to use S.

Prior to this happening, I was trying to adjust the Manual mode so I could understand and use it (I've never been able to) - I did tweak a few settings, and immediately the problem appeared.

I have "reset all" - in A, S, M, and in the setup menu.  Nothing works.

For most of the time, I've been using "best shot selector", which I like - but after getting A to work- I set it to BSS - and it quit working.

My firmware is 1.0.

help!  :-)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Try taking the batteries out for an hour or so and see if that resets things further than the standard reset..

Try shooting manual - use the meter to help you determine your settings...pick your shutter speed and use the meter to set the aperture and ISO.

If you are using the camera heavily - making your living - then you may have "over used" it.  Typically Coolpix cameras are not designed as cameras that are used heavily day in and day out.  It would be interesting to know how many shutter activations it has...You may need to send it to Nikon for repair, but it might not be that economical vs. purchasing a newer, similar camera.  The P520 camera originally came out about 5 years ago, but I am not sure when Nikon stopped making them.  

Philip

Philip

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Many thanks, I'll give the battery a try.  Manual doesn't cut it for much of my work; I'm shooting birds, insects, small mammals, in the wild.  Take time to set the f and the subject is gone.  I need manual for good macro work on a tripod; but whole set of different problems there.

It hadn't occurred to me it could be "worn out" - but I do understand you.  I went with the P250 because it was a lot cheaper than the step into real professional - and ALMOST had everything I needed.  Almost.  

I hope I've made that mistake for the last time- folks out there- if the tool you are looking at says "professional grade features" - that means it is NOT a professional tool, just a plain consumer grade thing with a couple bells (probably no whistles.)  Oddly enough, professional tools will be labeled "Professional."  No modifiers.

Education is never free.  And boy it seems to take a long time.  :-)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I know plenty of folks who use "lesser" gear (non-pro level) to do professional work.  Doesn't matter if it is a DSLR or a point and shoot.  The key is understanding what it is and how it works.  I don't think anyone would expect to get the same capabilities in a $500 camera as they would in a $1500 camera body + lenses.  

Part of that is the flexibility you get with gear options in the higher priced camera, but part of it is also in the durability.  It is a matter of personal preference as to which model or models meet the needs you have at a price you are willing to pay.  

Philip

Philip

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Taking the battery out, even overnight, didn't help, alas.  When I get an afternoon free, I intend to try updating the firmware; last gasp.

I'm still trying to get up to speed with digital cameras.  :-)  I spent 20 some years taking publication quality photos, on Kodachrome 64 or 25, with a middle range Canon SLR, a good set of close-up lenses, a wide angle, a tripod, and a slaved external flash.  Got fairly proficient.  Then this digital stuff comes along!  There are so many capabilities it's hard to keep up- and the makers now seem to focus on "the latest thing", rather than basic, but perhaps obscure, function.  Like the "bulb" shutter release, for example; I miss it.

Many thanks; if anything else occurs to folks, do let me know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: p520