Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens upgrade D3400

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tilly

Tilly

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi all....
I’m looking to buy a new lens, I currently have the kit lens which is a 18-55mm len. I’ve been shoots things such as landscape cityscape a few protraits and some close ups. I feel some limitations I have are with close-ups and dof not being as sharp as I’d like it to be. I was recommended the Tamron 18x2700 by a man in Jessops as a general lens however I’m not sure this is suitable to my needs as I’m not a big zoomer at the moment. I’ve been looking at the 35mm 1.8g and the 50mm however I’m still not sure if these Are good lens for what I am looking for. Thank you in advance

Nick BN

Nick BN

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I purchased a 50mm 1.8g lens and I've loved every moment with it, I definitely recommend it as its good all around (portraits and low light situations especially). I have friends with the 35mm 1.8g who love it as well, but wish it was zoomed in a little more.

If you're looking for a good all-around lens that's also telephoto, an 18-270mm is definitely a good choice, but it sounds like you'd enjoy the 35mm or 50mm a lot more.

- Nick

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I think the 50 is a great choice for general shooting / portraits.  You are going to want wider than that for landscapes and in my opinion the 35 isn't wide enough on a D3400.  I would probably look towards a 24 vs. the 35.  Personally, I am not a fan of the wide range zooms.  Every lens is a compromise of some sort and I think you give up too much in image quality for the benefits of carrying a single lens.  Based on what you have said, a 16-80 or 16-85 would probably be my choice, in part because of the fixed aperture but also because of the range it covers.  Either should be a step up from the 18-55 kit lens with a bit extra coverage on each end.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

I agree with TBonz.  I'm a big fan of the 16-80 on a DX body ( or the 24-120 on a FX body ).  They are great general purpose lenses as well as, in your case, covering the appropriate focal length for landscapes and portraits.  For closeups (if macro is what you have in mind) consider a 60mm macro lens.  It will be 90mm equivalent on your D3400, which gives you a little more working room than a 45 or 50mm.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

To decide between a 35 and a 50 as your first fast lens, you can lock your 18-55 to either of those focal lengths with a piece of vinyl electrician's tape and go out and shoot. You will probably get both as they aren't *that* expensive and are very different from each other.

If you want a zoom that is a little bit better optically and vastly better when it comes to build quality, add my vote to Tom's and Wayne's for the 16-85 if money is tight, otherwise the newer 16-80.

For close-ups, the 60 mm micronikkor is a good choice, but a Tamron 90 or Tokina 100 give even more working distance in a similar price range.

jbell

jbell

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I just picked up the 35mm 1.8G DX and here is why.

Keep in mind that the D3400 is a crop sensor body, thus if you but a 50mm lens on it, you are effectively shooting at 75mm (unless you are going to do a bunch of head shots for overpaid CEO's) forcing you to back away from your subject a lot more, making the lens less useful.

If you put a 35mm lens on the D3400 you are shooting at 52.5mm, getting you closer to 50mm then the 50mm lens will ever get you to... This will make it a much more versatile lens. Sure your kit lens covers this range, but as you said it lacks in DOF, and sharpness (there is a lot more glass between the subject and the sensor on the 18-55mm).

However, you are going to want to keep that 18-55mm lens in your bag for landscape as DOF doesn't matter much anyways and you are going to need that ultra-wide perspective for landscape.

The 35mm 1.8G DX is the way to go IMHO as the price is right, and the functionality is there.

Hi all....
I’m looking to buy a new lens, I currently have the kit lens which is a 18-55mm len. I’ve been shoots things such as landscape cityscape a few protraits and some close ups. I feel some limitations I have are with close-ups and dof not being as sharp as I’d like it to be. I was recommended the Tamron 18x2700 by a man in Jessops as a general lens however I’m not sure this is suitable to my needs as I’m not a big zoomer at the moment. I’ve been looking at the 35mm 1.8g and the 50mm however I’m still not sure if these Are good lens for what I am looking for. Thank you in advance