Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D500 vs D7500

d500 d7500 upgrade body d300

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

fberto39

fberto39

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading from my very reliable, but old, Nikon D300. I have considered both Nikon D7500 and D500. In terms of specs, they are both perfectly fine and would both be more than enough for me, I don't care about faster frame rate or better autofocus in the D500. However, I have some concerns in terms of ergonomics and more advanced software features.

My main concerns of the D7500 are these: 

- I got used to almost never using the menus, since on the D300 I could do almost everything through buttons. The D7500 loses dedicated WB, autofocus and exposure mode buttons/selectors, among the others. How does it work?

- I am especially concerned about the back button focus. I know that the AE lock can be assigned to that function in some cameras, so I guess it will be the same on the D7500, however, on other cameras it becomes a pain to use. Is it the case also on this one?

- What other functions does the D7500 lack compared to the D500?

The only thing holding me back from the D500 is the higher price, so I want to understand whether the D7500 would work, or the trade-offs would be too much.

Thank you very much!
Filippo

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

if going to take sport pictures or action shoots go with d500 since has frame rate of 10 per second. also the d500 has duel card slots where d7500 has only one card slot. so if frame rate not issue and card slot not issue then d7500 might be better. not sure on that since other will shine in on that. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The ergonomics and the overall dumbing down of the D7500 to keep it from cannibalizing sales from the D500 are the main concerns. There are buttons for WB and metering mode, but they are on the back, left of the display. The exposure mode is controlled by twirling a knob. The AF modes are controlled by pressing the button where the selector used to be and using the control wheels. Whether the AF-L/AE-L button is comfortable for you can only be answered by handling one in a store. For me, the clincher is the lack of a vertical grip for the D7500 as I haven't been without it since the mid 90-s.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Peter provides some great info...I used back button focus on my D7000 years ago...I do not know if it has changed or not since then, but I found it not to be an issue.  But the D7500 does not have some of the features I really wanted in a DX body (dual card slots, grip as examples).  So I didn't really look to closely at it as I had already tested out a D500 and it had everything I wanted and it was worth the difference in price...whether the difference in price is worth the difference in features to you is only something you can answer...I can say that I am quite happy I picked up the D500...

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yeah, I think that since you already own and use a D300 that you won't be satisfied with the D7500. Just the ergonomics alone would be a clincher for me. But the fact that Nikon removed so much of what made the D7xxx series such a good camera really kills it as a viable alternative. And, removing the ability to user older lenses was just plain stupid on Nikon's part.

Also, remember that all of your accessories (such as remote cables, etc.) will have to be replaced if you purchase a D7500. It doesn't use the Nikon professional accessory system or round eyepiece system.

I realize that the extra money Nikon wants for the D500 is non-trivial but I think it's worth it. Especially now that Nikon has them on sale for the holidays and is including the vertical grip in the bargain. 

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d500, d7500, upgrade, body, d300