Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cheapie Radio Triggers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
Up until now, I’ve been relying on Nikon AWS for off camera flash and it’s been alright. I have an SB-600 and a Yongnuo 568ex II.

Recently been pondering if I went the wrong direction in insisting on buying this particular Yongnuo in order to keep using AWS. My last shoot didn’t go great basically because I was leaning on the automatic flash metering when what was required was some direct human decisions. Being able to change flash power from the camera hasn’t proven as useful as I thought.

While I could switch to manual flash and continue using AWS for triggering (which I am going to do in the meantime) for a few reasons I’m considering investing in some inexpensive radio triggers. They would solve some triggering issues I’ve had due to line of sight, open up some placement possibilities, give me access to another wireless speed light (have an SB-15) and also be compatible with my mostly benched M4/3 Olympus.

What do you think? Is it worth it? And are these too cheap or just about right?

https://www.amazon.c...=neewer trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I'd personally go the Yongnuo 622tx/rx kit. They are worth their weight on gold. They really are fantastic triggers. There are slightly more expensive, but not much more. And the ability to be able to control flash power from the trigger is essential as far as I'm concerned.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

I'd personally go the Yongnuo 622tx/rx kit. They are worth their weight on gold. They really are fantastic triggers. There are slightly more expensive, but not much more. And the ability to be able to control flash power from the trigger is essential as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for chiming in!

I’m on my way to work so only did a cursory reading. Am I to understand the 622 system is platform specific though, or is it agnostic? Part of the motivation for me is being able to use the triggers between two different camera systems.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
They are specific as they do support HSS and TTL. But you could still use them across platforms in the same way. Just HSS and TTL won't be supported on the other system.

Of all the triggers I've used I almost think they have been the easiest to use.

Only reason I don't still use them is because my whole lighting system is Godox now.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Little too pricey for me right now, but really good to know there is such a thing. Maybe later. 

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

How much do you want to spend?

--Ron

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
I was looking at super budget sub-$30 sets. All I need is reliable function, but I have read the very cheapest might Mt that that reliable.

My priorities are shifting though. Thinking now to ditch my m4/3 gear, making multiple platform compatibility less of a thing.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Gosh, where is it?...  I can't even find the package anymore. The first radio triggers I bought were super cheap. About $40US. Just a single transmitter and receiver.  They mostly worked (in manual only!) but they also screwed up a LOT. And the batteries were weird. A half sized AA for the receiver (I think!) and a coin battery for the transmitter. They were also very delicate. I always wore my kid gloves when I handled them... convinced that sooner or later I was going to break one or both of them.

I messed around with them for about a year I guess before I decided to try the B&H Vello brand triggers. They were considerably more expensive than the cheap system I was using but much less expensive than the pro triggers I really wanted. They also took standard double A batteries. They've been great. I would recommend them to anyone. The set I bought are iTTL but they also make non-iTTL triggers that are less expensive.

--Ron

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
Thanks for the rec, but I’m living in Spain so haven’t got affordable access to the US market.

This whole question is proving much more of a quandary than I expected. I think I might just buy the cheapest thing Amazon.es has and accept the risks. Really can’t shell out much but the more I try to use off camera flash, the more I’m becoming convinced I could use more lights and the most economical way is to hook up cheap radio triggers to existing flashes.

• Ron likes this

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

OK, money where my mouth is. I pulled the trigger on a four pack of "Andoer" wireless triggers for 23€. All I need is for them to work, so fingers crossed.

I got a great shot of my daughter dancing this afternoon with two flashes places on the ground and pointed upward. Very motivated to push on with the creative lighting and a set of triggers will let me bring more flashes into play than I'd otherwise be able to afford if I had to stick completely with Nikon AWS.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

As you've discovered... there's nothing like getting your flash off camera. The effort :ph34r: results are nearly always worth the effort. 

Unfortunately, there's a bit of voodoo involved... and Nikon, Canon, and other camera makers don't always make it easy (despite their best intentioned efforts). 

You may wish to give this site (Strobist: Lighting 101: Introduction) a try.

--Ron

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

I know the Strobist blog well. I've read it at least three times. Probably will read it a fourth now that I'm finally coming around the author's way of doing things (all manual flash).

My only real problems with Nikon AWS has been some failures to fire and inconsistency in metering. The real motivation to go to radio triggers is budget, as I've got older flashes I can get into the action if I'm willing to go manual, which I totally am now. Just a couple months has changed my mind on the relative need of having iTTL metering for my off-camera flashes. I'm finding my bigger problem is just getting enough light and since I don't have the money, space or right lifestyle for studio strobes, the next best thing is just ganging more flashes together. 

The 4-trigger radio kit arrived today. I already have an old SB-15 I can get into the mix and a funny little single-AA Osram that my wife had from her film days I can mess around with. Asking my sister to bring a couple Vivitar 285hv's from my mom's which combined with the SB-15, SB600 and YN568 will bring up to five 4AA-cell lights. Should be more than enough light for anything indoors.