Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Going to Sebring international raceway tips for f/stops on d5300

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

Will be using my d5300 with my nikon 12-24 dx for ultra wide angle shoot of cars coming down straights and other parts of track need good f/stop for it and my first gen nikon 70-200mm af-s vr f2.8g not sure if should stay in a mode of manual or stay full manual. Not sure if having a mode will help with lighting issue since be from 8am to 2pm. also would like tips on how to make cars in focus and every thing around look like in slow motion. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,644 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The tips you got in March are still valid, but you can open up the aperture a bit more with the 70-200. The technique you want to use to keep the car sharp and the background blurry is called panning, which I mentioned in this post. going to 12 hours of sebring. will be using 70-300. what good setting for manual - Nikon Lens Discussion - NikonForums.com

For your wide-angle shots, just set the shutter speed to 1/2000 or even shorter using shutter priority, let the aperture get wide open and let the AutoISO get you the correct exposure.

It might be worth reading Nikonite's posts from Daytona and Sebring and looking at what he has done there.

Cars from the 2016 Rolex 24 - Cars and Machinery - NikonForums.com

A search on Sebring in the forums will get you some threads to read.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I wasn't aware that there was anything going on at Sebring this weekend. Shows you how far out of the loop I am. LOL

I'm guessing that you'll only use the 12-24 in the pits (assuming you have a pit pass or hard card). It's way too short for shots of cars coming down the straightaway. I mean, yeah, it'll work but the cars will likely be too small in the image to be of much use... at least without severe cropping. The 70-200 will likely be your go to lens for most of the weekend.

These are the times when having two bodies really comes in handy. Track conditions are usually dusty and dirty. Changing lenses isn't something you want to be doing a lot.

When I photographed races I used to mount my long zoom on one camera and a short zoom (or short prime) on the other. I never removed these lenses once I got to the track.

Exposure is, of course, dictated by what you're trying to accomplish. You'll likely be doing a lot of panning because, except for cars coming towards or away from you, they'll be going too fast to capture without panning.

The posts that Peter referenced will give you a lot more info.

Good luck, and have fun!

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
Using both 12-24 and first gen 70-200mm. Last time was their used my basic tamron 70-300 lens. If your going Daytona 24hrs send me message would love to meet up. Might be getting scca family pass for year since get me incto pits and other area for scca racing
  • Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks, but I'm getting too old to be pulling all nighters at the track although I often make the attempt from my Lazy-Boy. Spoiler... I always fall asleep before the TV feed goes off the air.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

i was not going to stay all night to just be up during day time or most of race. be nice to be able to meet up with fellow people of this board. 

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yeah, I understand. However, at the moment at least, I don't have any plans to attend any part of Speed Weeks. We didn't even attend the Homestead NASCAR race this year although I really would have enjoyed that.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

just try to see if you want to meet for something. since i saw you love to do racing pictures. 

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Thanks, I do appreciate it. And, if anything changes... (I'm not after all, the final word on everything we do)... I'll be sure to let you know.

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
If want to meet up give me tell i and make plans for itbut give me week notice. Since aunt down as snowbird and pops eye sight. Also with family coming down to vist need heads up so can work something out
  • Ron likes this