Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3100 photos have weird sections at the top

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Nick BN

Nick BN

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone,

So I am a beginner who was given a D3100 from a dear friend who had upgraded long ago, putting the D3100 into retirement until she gave it to me a few months ago.

After a couple of hours with it, I noticed that some photos were producing weird effects at the top of some photos. These effects look like the photos have different exposures in entire sections at the top of the photo and sometimes those areas are blurry or have doubles. When I look through the viewfinder or the LV, everything looks in order. Its the pictures that have the effect. At first, I thought it was due to my lack of experience, but I asked her and she told me otherwise. This happens on maybe 60% of the photos and I am not knowledgable enough yet to understand what could be causing this. I tested the stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and my friends 35mm f/1.8 lens (which she has no problems with) and the effect was still there, leading us to conclude that the problem lies within the body. I've also noticed that this happens more often in brighter environments.

Some photos are much more dramatic than others, some have the blurriness/double, some don't. 

These are some prime examples of how bad it can be:

DSC_1223.JPG

DSC_1147.JPG

DSC_1096.JPG

Photos with blurriness/double effect in the brighter section:

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

DSC_1093.JPG

These photos are much less dramatic than the others:

DSC_0279.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

Some don't have any weird sections at all, but at this point I'm starting to believe if the photo is dark enough, it'll blend the top section with the rest of the photo.

Should I even bother looking into fixing this? Is there any hope for this camera? If so, is it even worth fixing? 

Thank you,

Nick BN

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

When this happens, is the popup flash firing?

--Ron

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Looks like the shutter is getting ready to give up the ghost. How many actuations are on it?

And no, IMHO, it is probably not worth having it fixed. But if they'll give you a free estimate up front, it might be worth exploring.

Nick BN

Nick BN

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

When this happens, is the popup flash firing?

--Ron

Hey Ron, no the flash isn't on.

Looks like the shutter is getting ready to give up the ghost. How many actuations are on it?

And no, IMHO, it is probably not worth having it fixed. But if they'll give you a free estimate up front, it might be worth exploring.

Hey Scottin,

I'm sorry, but I don't know what "the ghost" is or what "actuations" are (or how to check that), though it sounds like you're implying that the shutter is going bad due to its age/usage.

Where could I go where I'd get an estimate? Are there Nikon Authorized stores that I can trust?

Thanks guys,

Nick BN

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I am not Scott, but I can answer anyway. Giving up the ghost is a figure of speech and means dying.

By actuations, we mean the number of photos taken with the camera in it's lifetime. To check, just upload an unedited .jpg from the camera to this checker. It is on our sister site, Pentaxforums.com and reads Nikon .jpg files just as well as Pentax.

Nikon USA operate some service centres and there are others that you can find through this page. I think you have to go through one of the authorized sellers if you are not an NPS member and want to use Nikon's own facilities.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I thought shutter as well when I saw the photos...Perhaps you can just call Nikon and ask the cost to replace the shutter in a D3100.  I know they have a support and service info on the Nikon USA site...

Nick BN

Nick BN

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I am not Scott, but I can answer anyway. Giving up the ghost is a figure of speech and means dying.

By actuations, we mean the number of photos taken with the camera in it's lifetime. To check, just upload an unedited .jpg from the camera to this checker. It is on our sister site, Pentaxforums.com and reads Nikon .jpg files just as well as Pentax.

Nikon USA operate some service centres and there are others that you can find through this page. I think you have to go through one of the authorized sellers if you are not an NPS member and want to use Nikon's own facilities.

Will do, thank you for all of the resources!

If anyone is interested, the shutter count is in the 25,000's.

I thought shutter as well when I saw the photos...Perhaps you can just call Nikon and ask the cost to replace the shutter in a D3100.  I know they have a support and service info on the Nikon USA site...

Will do, thanks!