Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Program Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

agh55

agh55

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I have never used p mode on my Nikon D7200 (Sigma 17 to 50 attached). Not using a flash, I use the back dial and it changes to P+, however, when I twist the front dial, the speed changes, not the aperture, it stays locked at 2.8. I thought I could alter both speed and aperture. I have the max. ISO sensitivity set to 1600. Can anyone please advise if you can alter the aperture setting and how, also what is the best max setting to get images with the minimum of noise to be set at. I'm taking shots tonight in a fairly big room but don't want to use a hot-shoe flash. 

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
The best mode to control everything is M (manual)

Noise is caused by high ISO settings; i.e. the higher the ISO value, the more noise you will have. If shooting in JPG (i.e. not RAW), the camera has a setting for Noise Reduction where you can define to what level the image is processed - check if it is activated and what setting it has.

Reducing the max ISO will require to have either a slower shutterspeed (which may cause blurs, especially if you use the camera handheld) or larger apertures (having a lower DOF (depth of field). It is for you to decide which (average) of the three is best for you.

Try to take some shoots in similar conditions than this evening to test which settings give you the best results.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The best way to get predictable results with a speedlight is to take control over all the parameters for the ambient light.

• Set the mode selector to manual.
  • Turn AutoISO off.
  • Set the aperture to what you need it to be to get the depth of field you want.
  • Set the ISO to the lowest setting you can and still get the flash range you need to light the main subject.
  • Set a shutter speed that measures ~-1EV below what the meter tells you, this will balance nicely with the light overspill from the flash into the background.
  • Let the iTTL automation handle the exposure for your main subject. If your subject is very dark or very light, so the meter will be fooled, use flash exposure compensation to correct for that.

I hope this is intelligible, I am coming down with a cold or something so my head feels fuzzy at the moment.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Feel better quickly Peter!

agh55

agh55

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Jerry and Merco, thanks for your responses, it gives me a lot to think about, best to put my camera into manual mode and follow your guidance