Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3100 for a tween?

first tween 11yo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hmaysmith

Hmaysmith

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello,
My 11yo daughter wants to get into photography :). Last week on our vacation she delighted in exploring with my 4yo 5100. I would like to get her a used similar DSLR, so she can have her own - but don’t want to invest until she proves a true interest and responsibility in owning and caring for such a camera.

Would a used 3100 be a good trial camera for her? She knows nothing about aperture, shutter speed, etc - just needs to become familiar with this type of camera and the preset settings (scenes, zooming, different lenses). I’m really just looking at gently used ones online, a few years old but functional for a true newbie. I’d like at least a 10-14mp version so if she does take to it, the prints will be great for her to see her trial-and-error results. I’d also like a model similar to mine so we may learn together (I’m a relative beginner too). Thank you!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A used D3100 or D5100 sounds like a good idea... The older D5xxx bodies sometimes sell just as cheap as the D3xxx ones when people upgrade to either a newer D5xxx or a D7xxx. The D5100 would give the advantage of having exactly the same menus and control layout as yours. The D3100 differs just enough to be frustrating if you switch between the cameras.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Good advice by Peter, having the same camera model will help you in being familiar with the menus. But, as I do understand your post, you want to let her learning by doing - so you wont use her camera that often.

From a non-technical point I think that getting her a different camera model can have its advantages, too. Indeed it will allow her to better recognize which of the two cameras is hers (but, of course, you can also add a distinctive mark like a small sticker to the camera), as well as allow her to grow up to ‘your camera’ if you wish to upgrade.

Both the D3xxx and D5xxx are very capable bodies for starting with, allowing to explore and building up your photography skills.

Hmaysmith

Hmaysmith

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you Peter and Jerry! Now I know I'm on the right track. I will look at used 5100s as well - but excellent advice about being able to "upgrade" her to mine (so I can then get a new one)... I'm looking at ebay; if you have any advice regarding a better/different place to look I'd appreciate that as well. My local FB pages have people wanting to sell used cameras for $400 and up, LOL!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

B&H Photo sells used gear as does KEH.  I have no idea what either has in stock currently, but I have purchased used equipment from both in the past.

I like the recommendations above...another advantage would be the ability to share lenses...

I would personally recommend giving her your camera and giving yourself an upgrade :) but either way works...

While I don't think these are good choices based on what you have said, a higher end CoolPix or Mirrorless might also be something to look at as an initial test...with thoughts to maybe to with a DSLR in the next year or two based on how bad she gets the photo bug!