Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New purchase: Nikon 7100 w/Sigma 17-70 or Nikon 7200 with 18-140

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

cjmo2017

cjmo2017

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone! I have a tight budget limit of USD1100 and need help deciding between these two options.

Option A. Nikon d7100 (refurbished) w/Sigma 17-70 (1049 USD)

Option B. Nikon D7200 (new) with 18-140mm w/audio kit and extra battery (1096 USD)

I shoot indoors occasionally (concert/event photography) but also use the camera a lot when traveling. I also shoot in low-light quite a bit...

I used to shoot with a Canon 60D (2010 model with 18 MP) with a Tamron 17-50mm and Canon 55-250mm combo before I got the ERR01 code (contacts base is fried is my best guess). With Option A or Option B, how likely is it that I see a drop in IQ in the 17-50mm range?

Thanks!

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

the 7200 is great camera body do to fact shoots better in low lighting. that will make big difference. since 7100 not good in low lighting. you will also know that most or all lens will work on any nikon body. but some lenses will have to be full manual or in one manual mode. i have d5300 and have one lens that has to be in full manual or in one manual. other is full frame lens that i can use on my dx body. so i would go with 7200 if shot in low lighting a lot.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why change systems? You've got a couple of nice lenses that suit what you do well, even if you could use a fast prime or two. For your $~1100, you could get a 77D and either a 50/1.4 or an 85/1.8 if you shop around some. Changing systems costs a lot for little benefit to most photographers.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I agree with Peter. Changing systems isn't always the panacea people expect it to be.

However, if you're set on moving, I think I would choose a new D7200 over a refurbished D7100. It's a generation newer and has better image processing firmware. And, assuming that you're not buying gray market, comes with a bit better warranty. I'm not familiar with the 18-140mm lens but it's probably an average kit lens. The other items (unless otherwise specified by the seller) are probably off brand but may be okay. The audio kit is, of course, intended for video which may or may not be of interest to you.

--Ron

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

A D7200 w/Tamron 17-50 is well within your budget. Save up for a Tamron/Sigma/Nikon 70-200 or a Sigma 50-100 for those times you need a longer focal length. 

cjmo2017

cjmo2017

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Why change systems? You've got a couple of nice lenses that suit what you do well, even if you could use a fast prime or two. For your $~1100, you could get a 77D and either a 50/1.4 or an 85/1.8 if you shop around some. Changing systems costs a lot for little benefit to most photographers.

Well, usually that would be the case but I forgot to mention that my Tamron lens focus ring has also broken and just spins now. It definitely requires repair or replacement. The only remaining lens that I have and use is an inexpensive 55-250mm.  

From my habits I’ve decided weather-sealing is a necessity, and the lowest-level Canon body that is weather-sealed are the Canon 70d and the Canon 80d. I’ve ruled out the 70d because it’s an older model and only a 2 megapixel improvement on my old system, and the 77d isn’t weather-sealed. Currently, the 7200 retails for 799 compared to 1000 for the 80d and I’ve read from multiple sources that the IQ is better with the Nikon. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Then it might be worth checking out B&H and look what you would have to pay for a D7200 and a non-VC Tamron 17-50 or a Sigma 17-50/2.8. The Tamron VC 17-50 isn't quite as sharp as the older version and the D7200 with it's high resolution and lack of a low-pass filter reveals this.

The 18-140 isn't a bad lens, but it isn't a good match for a photographer who likes to shoot in available dark... Even if the D7200 has a very good S/N ratio at high ISO-values, wasting this on a slow lens seems wrong somehow.

cjmo2017

cjmo2017

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey everyone! I went with the D7200 and am planning to purchase a Sigma 17-70 : ) 

Thanks for all of the advice! It really did help