Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 3 December 2017

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 3 December 2017, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. The editing exercises are taking a break at the moment, but feel free to play around in the old exercises. 

P.P.S. Peter is running a fun single lens challenge that we are all invited to participate in. Look for the "One week, one camera, one lens" challenge.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

And....as promised....some photos from a "real" camera...

I am much better being up late - even all night - then I am getting up early...so it was quite a strange situation when I was wide awake very early on Monday morning...No way I was going back to sleep so I decided to see what a sunrise looked like from our home on the water...

I grabbed my D4 with 24-70 and headed out to see how things looked from our deck...it was quite stunning, so I headed out onto the dock and grabbed some photos...

27Nov17Sunrise-5454.jpg

ISO 400, 70mm, f8, 1/25

I was kind of proud of this - one of the few where you can actually see the thin layer of fog over the water which is cool...More importantly, I got this without camera shake...not bad for the big gear at 1/25th!  Probably helps that the detail is a good distance away, but still pretty sharp...and I blame the bird for moving since everything else is decent! :)

27Nov17Sunrise-5462.jpg

ISO 400, 70mm, f5.6, 1/100

I love the colors in this one, so I had to include it...definitely a favorite...

27Nov17Sunrise-5475.jpg

ISO 400, 35mm, f5.6, 1/100

I think this one might be my favorite of the bunch with the reflections in the water...

While I doubt I will make a habit of it, I certainly think it was worth getting up and heading out with my camera...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I don't think I can top this this week.

gallery_1251_617_362848.jpg

Model: NIKON D700
Lens (mm): 35 (AF-S Nikkor 35/1.8 ED)
ISO: 3200
Aperture: 2.2
Shutter: 1/100

Picture control: D2X Mode 3

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Tom, you are so lucky to be living somewhere so photogenic. I love those colors and reflections, and yes, I can see that little blanket of fog--so cool! I think the third might be my favorite as well. And I'm impressed that you were so sharp at 1/25 on that first one--you're braver than I am! (And steadier too.)

Peter, I really, really like this image. It's like a gift that keeps on giving because I keep finding little details that are so interesting, like the lighting on the rails on the right (was that a car approaching? perfect timing, if so!), the reflected lights in the water on the street, the motion of the biker enhanced by the diagonal of the lines she is riding between, and that amazing blue sky. I think my favorite part about it is the repeated red in the Christmas decorations, the biker's hat, and the reflectors on the wheels. Such a rich image!!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nicole, I was lucky that I was in place just as everything fell into place like that, but that is usually an important factor for a good street shot. The lights on the railing are from an approaching car, as you guessed.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Peter - an amazing shot - love it!

Tom, you are so lucky to be living somewhere so photogenic. I love those colors and reflections, and yes, I can see that little blanket of fog--so cool! I think the third might be my favorite as well. And I'm impressed that you were so sharp at 1/25 on that first one--you're braver than I am! (And steadier too.)

Nicole - I dialed up on what I felt were the right choices to start based on the meter and decided to give it a shot, but I really didn't think it would come out...I did a few of them and most had camera shake...I think it was more related to being so early and not really thinking about the speed and handholding a D4 / 24-70 combo :)

Heatherlynn1008

Heatherlynn1008

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
069c87b9b65d4b07641da93a9a43c591.jpg

Nikon D750
50mm
1/30 at f/1.8
ISO 640

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

Tom  The last one is my favorite of your group, with the tree line coming farther out into the frame and the darker top and bottom jut make it for me.

Peter     Since Blue is my favorite color That sky is fantastic. contrasts the red so well.

Heatherlynn  Such gorgeous eyes

You all make it sooo hard to post my shots. I decided on a b/w this time.

backroom.JPG

D200

24/2.8

Iso 400

f5.6

1/30 

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

One more remark like that and I will slap you so hard, even Google won't find you.  :))

Thanks for viewing.

TT

Attached Thumbnails

• PC010200.JPG

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Taken today. Heavy overcast and lots of zoom as this Hawk was a ways off.

29AD2B4F-4ADA-4708-AEAA-41DD1B943700.jpeg

2D5FB5B1-279D-4D2F-ABC8-45DE503A77EA.jpeg

Oh and I must get my train pictures added from today.

BC22B60B-6CE4-4CCB-AD21-B94E1BE2E7C1.jpeg

I always love a good curve.

84204BAC-8E99-4077-BE33-3FCE31A4CAA0.jpeg

7630E7B8-55E7-4E68-ABE4-28575EABEE26.jpeg

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Not a lot to choose from for me this week. I'll go with this one:

38077202774_803681ee09_b.jpg

late autumn by Mark, on Flickr

D810, Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 @ 55mm, f/2.8, 1/640", ISO 64, natural light.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Steve      I haven't seen a Norfolk Southern engine in a Loooong time. This one appears well used. I could see that one hanging on a wall 

Mark        Enjoy the shallow DOF to bring home the feeling of Fall

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Steve I haven't seen a Norfolk Southern engine in a Loooong time. This one appears well used. I could see that one hanging on a wall

Mark Enjoy the shallow DOF to bring home the feeling of Fall

Patrick, many of the Norfolk Southerns at least in my area look like they have some age to them. I caught one of their Heritage units last summer the Pennsylvania but the picture did not turn out very well. I didn’t know it was coming and it was the third engine in of five.

Well actually many of the trains need cleaning up.

As for it hanging on a wall! I have two 30 x 32 frames hanging on my wall in my office. Every so often I change them out. I just may put this one in next

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I grew up in Indiana. It was New York Central. Here in Tennesse it is CSX. CSX seems to use others engines a bit. I was in Virginia for a short time and saw the  Norfolk Southern there. I have seen 1 or 2 here on CSX trains . It still been a few years since I saw one tho.

Patrick, many of the Norfolk Southerns at least in my area look like they have some age to them. I caught one of their Heritage units last summer the Pennsylvania but the picture did not turn out very well. I didn’t know it was coming and it was the third engine in of five.

Well actually many of the trains need cleaning up.

As for it hanging on a wall! I have two 30 x 32 frames hanging on my wall in my office. Every so often I change them out. I just may put this one in next