Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3000 vs D3400 vs D5500

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

cwbolyard

cwbolyard

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Hey how's it going everyone. With Christmas and Black Friday right around the corner there are a lot of great deals out there for cameras and camera kits and wanted to get y'all's opinion on something. A while back I picked up my wife's old D3000 and shot with it for a few years but I feel I have outgrown it. I had planned on upgrading to a D5500, I found a deal for about $600 for the body alone. Today while walking through Sams club I found a D3400 with a 70-300mm lens for $500. Currently the longest lens I have is a 200 mm so this really intrigued me. What do y'all think about getting the D3400 package for $500 as opposed to a D5500? The only noticeable drawbacks to the D3400 is you don't get the articulating touchscreen, time lapse ability, and it only has 11 focal points compared to 39. They have the same sensor and processor. Thanks for any feedback, happy holidays!

cwbolyard

cwbolyard

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
I forgot to add that I primarily shoot wildlife and landscape photography

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
For wildlife, I would think you'd want the additional focus points. And that 70-300 does not have VR, so unless you plan to be on a tripod all of the time, it won't be of much use.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

you will find that model you saw at sam club is entry level camera you also find out that 5500 or d7000 series will do better job. since you held back from that model. if cost is issue then go that route. but you need lens that vr on it too since if doing wildlife or sports shots need vr and fast shutter speed. so you need f/stop near 2.8 on zoom lens to keep with action shots.