Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Resizing vs Cropping (project specific)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Laurie in Maine

Laurie in Maine

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaine

I tried out Vista Print's template for standard 11 x 17 calendar and the pictures all looked various sizes - because I used the Free Crop tool (most of the time) while in ViewNX-i. oops!  I assumed I would be able to drag each photo around in their template and they would all end up the same size.  But. No. A quick chat with their rep said to make them all "January's size" which she said was 12.73 x 9.84.

I failed at my first resizing effort so basically started over. I dropped 20 possibilities into Nikon's ViewNX-i editing tool tray. BUT the options are Free Crop, 1x1, 3x4, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 (portrait or landscape), and then there are two different sets of numbers...such as 6210 X 4800 OR 3818 X 2951 for January's submission. BUT each of the other pictures have different numbers in this section. 

I re-cropped the edited pictures to 8x10 landscape and tried to call it good. Some lost too much detail and I discarded. 

What process might be better followed in the first round of editing, when it comes to size? OR. Where might I find a better tutorial for cropping vs resizing?

(Might other calendar makers have tools that help with this? I know when I experimented with having a canvas made the process was easier... different company.)

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

What software do you have available?

I do all my cropping in Lightroom. That way it doesn't affect my original image and I can go back and change it later if I want to.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Agree...Lightroom also has a custom option which will allow you to specify the ratio you want to use.  It sounds like the last two above are in pixels - don't remember which tools but I have seen some apps that will allow you to switch from pixels to inches (or metric)...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

To crop to a fixed ratio with the free tools from Nikon, I think you have to use Capture NX-D as View only has presets and free crops AFAIK.

In my Swedish version on a Mac, the floating box looks like this.

Skärmavbild 2017-11-20 kl. 20.30.24.png