Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D3100 Speed Flash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

TerriG1985

TerriG1985

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Nikon D3100 and I am looking for a speed flash thats not way expensive. I am just taking inside photos of my kids at Christmas and other occasions so it don't have to cost a lot. I just need help finding one that is for my specific camera. I am just a beginner in photography and I will get a more expensive one later on when I get better I just need one that will do the job. I am looking at getting a Light sphere also and have more less landed on the Gary Fong Collapsible speed mount. any suggestions for me, I could really use the help. Thank y'all so much in advance! 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It sounds like you are in the market for a Yongnuo TTL-capable flash. An YN685 is about $105.

You would probably get better results with a radio trigger than the Lightsphere will give on it's own, despite the marketing by Gary Fong. An YN622 is about $40. You will seldom get really good light from a camera-mounted flash as the light will need to be off-axis to look natural.

Make sure that any flash and radio trigger you get are made for Nikon as they won't work across camera brands.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

TerriG, I will just second Peter's recommendation for a Yongnuo speedlight (flash, whatever you want to call it--same thing). I've been using Yongnuos for three or four years now, and they have performed really well. 

I will also second Peter's opinion that a Fong attachment won't really help that much (I've tried them--meh). Instead, try what Peter is recommending and get your flash off the camera by using a radio trigger. The triggers are super easy to use and allow you put your flash anywhere in the room you are shooting in rather than sticking it to your camera, which makes for fairly ugly light. I have white walls and ceiling in my studio, and it's a cinch to bounce the flash off the white get some nice, natural-looking light.

• Ron likes this

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos
A Yongnuo and a radio trigger, bounce the light off an available ceiling or wall. The flash comes with a diffuser and bounce card built in, or you can make something for pennies.

I'm a fan of the CLS flash commander system, but I don't think your camera has that, Peter will confirm. A radio trigger will do the job.
  • Ron likes this

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D3100 supports CLS, but with a SB-700 or greater or a SU-800 as  master and a CLS-capable flash as slave. This is a more expensive and less reliable solution, so the radio trigger system is a better way unless you already have the SU-800 as a part of an older system.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I concur with the radio control suggestions. Save yourself a headache and purchase a radio control set. Even the inexpensive models are generally very good. 

--Ron