Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5100 questions

interval timer setup message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

flyfisher111

flyfisher111

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

I do some night photography, primarily meteor showers and satellites.  I have 2 problems.

1.  I have had little success with the interval timer during meteor showers.  I set it up for  20 or 30 exposures at 20 sec. intervals.  It shoots 5-10 shots and stops.  I go through the setup again with the same result.  Getting ready to drive 2 hours for the Leonid shower next weekend and want to get this worked out.  Any ideas?  

2.  Sometimes I set it up at home, f1.8, 30 sec. exposure with the interval timer and test it and it works.  Then I drive 45 minutes to a very dark spot in the mountains, try to set up the interval timer and get the message "function not available with current settings."  Yet it worked fine an hour before; is there a gremlin hiding in the mountains?

Any advice is appreciated.

CM

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I do some night photography, primarily meteor showers and satellites.  I have 2 problems.

1.  I have had little success with the interval timer during meteor showers.  I set it up for  20 or 30 exposures at 20 sec. intervals.  It shoots 5-10 shots and stops.  I go through the setup again with the same result.  Getting ready to drive 2 hours for the Leonid shower next weekend and want to get this worked out.  Any ideas?  

2.  Sometimes I set it up at home, f1.8, 30 sec. exposure with the interval timer and test it and it works.  Then I drive 45 minutes to a very dark spot in the mountains, try to set up the interval timer and get the message "function not available with current settings."  Yet it worked fine an hour before; is there a gremlin hiding in the mountains?

Any advice is appreciated.

CM

You may need to set the interval to your shutter speed plus the desired gap.  So, if you are shooting 30s shots and want 20s in between, set the interval to 50s.  Perhaps that will solve both of your issues in one go :)

flyfisher111

flyfisher111

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

You may need to set the interval to your shutter speed plus the desired gap.  So, if you are shooting 30s shots and want 20s in between, set the interval to 50s.  Perhaps that will solve both of your issues in one go :)

I tried it.  The first time, it gave me 16 shots when set for 50.  Tonight I tried again and got 50 !!  

Problem solved.  Thanks

flyfisher111

flyfisher111

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag

OK, I solved the second issue last night, quite by accident.  Of course, it was of my own doing.

When I set everything up and tested at home, it worked; however when I got out sometimes it gave the error message.  The difference was that it can only be set up with the shutter closed; if I open the shutter for focusing on a star and try to set it up, I get the message.  Simple answer.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interval timer, setup message