Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Light in photography

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi. What is the main things in photography? Of course it is compositions and light. Take good light without good composition and you will get uninteresting shot. Take a good composition and a bad lighting and you will get again a bed photo. So as we already have a topic about composition I think we should create a topic about lighting. I propose to public here your experince about making photos in different lighting conditions and in studio. What light scheme you use? What results you get with this scheme? And other questions.

For begining I will public here two interesting (at least for me) articles.

So let's go!

http://www.diyphotog...lighting-setups

Explained lighting schemes

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

My lighting preferences in order:

Natural/available

Continuous 

Strobe

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Home - Online Lighting Diagram Creator - Tools for photographers

A good sight where you can find some schemes, but the main reason why I post here this link is the programm that will help you to format. Creator / Home - Online Lighting Diagram Creator - Tools for photographers

I think it would be cool if we could create here something as a library of ours light scemes.

bredies

bredies

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Nice sites - especially the first one.  Some interesting techniques there

Modis

Modis

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for sharing :)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Thanks those are interesting articles. 

Lots of good tips and information. 

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

To K-9

Tell me please is there some light for eyes? For example I often saw potrets with perfect eyes of model. Sharp, detalized and saturated. I don't know exactly is it the result of post-processing or result of photography process but I think that in any way it is possible to get such result without post-processing. So maybe you can give me any tips how to make model's eyes perfect on portret? Is there some light that can help me to do it?

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Indeed, some nice catchlights are added in post processing. To get this right before tinkering in post is to have your subject looking toward (but not directly into) a good light source, whether it be the sunlight, a reflection off something, an actual reflector held close to and slightly above their face, or a strong studio light or softbox, above them at about a 45 degree angle. Not looking directly at the light, and having it slightly to the side and above their eyes, puts the catchlights ideally just off center from the middle of their pupils.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you. I will try it.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Here is one of my try to create a low key portret. And I also add the scheme of light that I used to do it.

Attached Thumbnails

• портрет.jpg
  • lighting-diagram-1382254303.jpg

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Fstoppers Lighting Diagrams: The Martin Schoeller Portrait | Fstoppers

Here is the scheme with description that let you create the portraits with incredible eyes of models.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Here is many portrait light schemes with photoresults) Hope you will like it.

Studio Photography w. setup & lighting diagram | Flickr

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Great topic Stas, I love your enthusiasim for this kind of photography. It'll be intetesring to see some more of your set ups and photos. I would like to get a couple of studio soft boxes to add to my collection.

have a look at You Tube for a guy called "Karl Taylor, he gives examples of lighting techniques in and out of the studio.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for advice. I will have a look for Karl Taylor.

Also I want to add that I don't want to concern this topic to a one kind or even one genre of photohraphy. It is a theme just about light and ways of using it in photography. I think it would be greate to create here a sort of base of light scheme with discussion of them. For everyone could enter here, find that scheme what he need and reed opinion of other forum users about this scheme. 

nikoninjection

nikoninjection

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRiverside Ca

Site Supporter

Natural light seems to be the best for me but early mornings and evenings give the best pictures!

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

There is many ways to use it. How do you prefer to use it?

Sante

Sante

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Country Flag

I like the light painting that some people talk about.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

What light source do you use for light painting? And can you post here some examples of your photos?

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Here is an interesting article about high key lighting)

http://photography.t...key--photo-2949

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

My favorite lighting is natural and by that I really mean provided light vs. light I provide for the photograph.  It could be a landscape with what would be "real" natural lighting or indoors with some lamps.  Same would go for outdoor stadiums and fields or indoor concerts and sports.  It isn't that I mind throwing up some lights or putting on a flash - I just prefer the results with the existing light.