Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikkor 20mm 1:3.5

nikkor 20mm uw

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Aproxin

Aproxin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone! Just find such stuff in grandfather's garage. In attach files there is an old rare Nikkor 20mm 1 : 3.5 in a case for underwater shooting. Question. Is it a removable case and is it possible to adapt unproblemily this artifact to my d7100? Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170526_091206.jpg
  • Screenshot_2.png
  • IMG_20170526_091401.jpg
  • 2222.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The lens itself isn't that old or rare. It is one of at least 28400 Ai 20/3.5 Nikkors produced between 1977 and 1981. It is impossible to tell whether the lens is intact inside the housing or has had the aperture ring and lens mount removed in the conversion without opening it.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone! Just find such stuff in grandfather's garage. In attach files there is an old rare Nikkor 20mm 1 : 3.5 in a case for underwater shooting. Question. Is it a removable case and is it possible to adapt unproblemily this artifact to my d7100? Thanks in advance!

Hello,

The photos are a bit soft - added to the fact of me not knowing the housing, the following is just a general answer.

From the pictures one can see screws on the outer part (side) of the housing. I would start by removing these. This should likely allow to open the housing. I would also suspect to find some sealings between the inner and outer tube.

Once the housing hopefully opened you have to see how the lens is fixed. Looking at the rear part of the assembly I couldn't identify any transition between the housing and the lens (if it is a separate item) itself.

Finally, as regards fixing the lens on your D7100, I would suspect that the lens has an M42 mount. If so you will need an adapter from M42 to F mount. If it is an M42 mount, then the lens can only be used in full manual; not sure whether the light metering will work.

Overall a bit hazardous - so it is up to you to decide whether you feel comfortable with disassembling or if you decide to just keep the lens as a deco object on a shelf.

If you disassemble, could you provide some pictures of the process?

Aproxin

Aproxin

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks everyone! Sorry for low qulity photo, it's not my doing and i don't have the opportunity to twist this lense in my hands. 

The lens itself isn't that old or rare. It is one of at least 28400 Ai 20/3.5 Nikkors produced between 1977 and 1981

You're right and as i know all lenses in that range weren't made for underwater shooting. So there's a possibility that it's just a removable case.. except that this is some kind of handmade or remake

If you disassemble, could you provide some pictures of the process?

Sure! As soon as i get it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikkor, 20mm, uw