Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Transitioning from DX to FX in Stages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Chopster01

Chopster01

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm new to this forum. I thought I posted a version of this yesterday, but seems not. 

I have a D7200 and a couple of nice DX lenses, but want to transition to FX. Economically, I can't do it in one shot. Perhaps in two. Just trying to figure out what my first step should be.

1. Buy a D750 with a kit 24-120 f4 lens (versatile combo but a slow lens).

2. Buy a D750 with a 35mm f1.8 lens (faster lens, but not quite as versatile in range).

3  Go with glass first. Stick with my D7200 for now and buy the 24-70 FX VR lens, which can be used cropped on my DX camera, and get the D750 as my second step.

Answers or other suggestions?

I shoot mostly street, people, and events, often in dark or complicated lighting situations, though some landscape. No studio work. Not a professional, an avid amateur.

Charlie

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I think you posted yesterday, but posts made before Adam validates your membership don't show up until that process is done.

A fourth alternative is to get the D750, a 24-85 and the f/1.8 you think you will find most useful of the 35, 50 or 85.  The 24-85 is much more discreet for street and events than the 24-120 and quite a bit cheaper.

• Ron likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

An excellent alternative above...If it were me, I think I would pick the 24-70 and then consider my options (D750, a different body, an additional FX lens)...but, it really depends on your reasons for going FX and your comfort with the equipment...I know many would say the 24-70 is pretty big for street photography...but it is a wonderful lens!  

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yeah, the D750 is I think a good choice.

For street work, the 35mm f/1.8G FX lens is also good. I have one of these lenses. It's tack sharp and, if you leave off the tulip lens shade, it's fairly unobtrusive. I don't have an opinion about the other two lenses except that I would tend to lean towards the smaller of the two, especially if it both focuses and zooms internally. That is, the outer dimensions of the lens remain constant.  Again... this is assuming that your main focus (no pun intended) will be street photography.

Another good lens for street work is the FX AFS 18-35mm f/3,5-4.5G. It's fairly inexpensive and, as long is you stick with <25 or so megapixle cameras it offers very good image quality for the money. It's also fairly unobtrusive (again with the tulip shade off) but is larger than the 35mm I previously mentioned.

Lastly, don't discount the AF-S 50mm f/1.8. It's smaller than any of the other lenses and is an all around good performer. Especially in low light... and it's the cheapest  Nikon AF FX lens available.

--Ron

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

I just went from a D7200 to a D750 with the 24-120 f4 lens. I mainly used a 17-55 f/2.8 lens with the D7200. I have no regrets going to the D750. Love the camera and lens. I also previously had a 50mm f /1.4 lens and the 70-200 lens.