Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sharpness with my d5300 and 200-500 lens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

t27yawl

t27yawl

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello,

I have recently bought the Nikkor 200-500 lens, and am pairing it with the d5300 camera--a combination that seems to have produced very fine photos, judging by what I find posted on various photo sites.  I have been using the lens for bird photography, and have been frustrated by two problems:

1) a very odd bokeh, consisting of sharp, short, vertical lines in such backgrounds as grass and tree bark--no softness at all.  It's very distracting.

2) I can't get really sharp images: they look nice at full frame, but become very soft quickly as I enlarge them.  I have tried handheld shots, with VR and a wide range of ISO / aperture /speed combinations; I have also worked with it mounted on a tripod, varying parameters as with my hand-held shots and turning the VR off (and then back on, just to be sure).  Nothing seems to work--apparently nice images dissolve into blurry details and grainy textures (at higher ISO, but really starting at 800 or so).  I shoot RAW and process in Lightroom--and can't really do much about fixing these problems, even with careful applications of sharpening (moderate to avoid creating more problems ...)

Am I missing something?  Can this be the lens itself?

I should add that I've been using other lenses, including the AF/S 70-300 1:4.5 5.6 G zoom, and getting good shots.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast
This might be issue or something else is causing it. Here what i think may be isssue. One is your using full frame lens on dx basic model camare body. Or take lens back could be fualty. Also d5300 mode has low iso numbers too like mine does. Will not go higher then 12800 that could be another issue

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Post some example photos with the exif data intact. Using a long big lens like the 200-500 requires a different technique than using a 70-300 lens in getting sharp images. I had one for a few days and I can tell you the VR is pretty good on the 200-500 lens. I took a photo using my D750 @500mm with shutter speed of 1/125. In the end i had to send it back for a refund due to it not focussing at infinity. Have you tried any autofocus tests both using the viewfinder and live view? It could have a slight back/front focus. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You write that you have used it on a tripod, still without getting critically sharp results. Is the tripod up to the task? Is the head? Did you do the test outdoors or did you shoot through an open window or door? What were the shutter speeds? Harmonics from the mirror raising can do strange things at some shutter speeds.

Could you post a 100% crop that shows this strange bokeh?

I agree with PebblzNnutz that a long tele needs a different technique than a xx-300. Checking for front/back focus is worth trying.

The 200-500 is a good lens, but there is sample variation simply because of the price point it is built to. It might be worth sending it in for a check-up.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Posting some examples with your EXIF data would help us help you better.  The 200-500 is a good lens but as said, you are moving into a different "space" and you need to adapt your technique for the longer reach.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

would be helpful if we have pictures to go off.