Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Up grade questons

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

BillGebhardt

BillGebhardt

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

I want to upgrade from my D50 so any advice would be welcome.

Glass wise I have what came with the D50, a:

AF-S DX NIKKOR ED 18-55 MM 1:3, 5-5.6G

and a few years ago, I bought a TAMRON SP 70-300MM   F/4-5.6 062.

I shoot travel, possible watercolor prospects, wildlife, and what else may attract my attention.

I am torn between FX and DX. DX served me well but what do I get for FX beyond technology?

I have been frustrated with shooting low level lighting, and try to push beyond 6 MP.

Currently I am looking at a D610 or a D500 or possibly a D7500.

Any thoughts?

Bill

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
As a D610 user for the last three years or so, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. A superb all round camera. Great sensor, focus motor for pre-AF-S lenses, two card slots, to na,e just a few positives. If i had to replace my camera, I’d buy another D610 without hesitation.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
All three cameras are excellent cameras and definitely improvements compared to your current D50 in terms of low light and dynamic range, as well as MP.

One (D610) has an FX and two have a DX sensor cameras. If you shoot a lot of wildlife (i.e. when zooming close is important), stay with DX. When you look for a better separation from back- and foreground (this will also need other lenses), or shoot mainly larger scenes (f.i. landscapes) than FX is better.

The D500 has a Pro body layout, which has some ergonomic advantages inluding a very bright viewfinder, but as pay-off has no flash and none of the (consumer) preset modes. While camera build-in flashes are just a helping tool, due to their little power, they can be helpful at moments.
Moreover the 153 focus points of the D500 are not only in the center section, but spread out to the edges of the picture. Also the D500 is the one is the best high ISO performance amongst the three.

The D7500 has recently replaced the D7200, but Nikon did it with a number of pay-offs compared to the previous model. However, while upgrading from the D50 you might not notice these. The advantages of the D7500 in this comparison would be the smaller and lighter body.

Overall, which camera you choose depends on what type of pictures you take. Whatever camerabody you choose you will like to add also extra lenses (so keep some money aside)

As regards the
- D610, you might also want to compare it to the D750.
- D7500, you might also want to compare it to the D7200.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have to agree - all three cameras are very capable and will be a big step up from the D50.  I had a D7000 and moved to a D600 from there.  I have also rented and shot with a D500.  Jerry's suggestions about other bodies to consider is a good one as well...

I'd suggest sticking with a DX body unless there is some reason you want to go full frame.  The extra "reach" of the crop sensor can be helpful with shooting wildlife.  The D500 is about as capable as any camera in low light...it might also give you some time to pick up a few FX lenses (work fine on D500 and D7xxx bodies) in case you decide to switch to FX down the road...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Staying with DX for now makes sense. The 18-55 is a capable little lens that has no real FX equivalent. If you shoot much wildlife around 300 mm focal length, remember that you will need 450 mm to get the same field of view on FX and the 150-600 class or the 200-500 are heavy to lug around. I would go with either the D500 or a D7200, preferably the D500 if funds allow.

BillGebhardt

BillGebhardt

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Hmmm. I need to get out more often and stop thinking FX is so superior to DX. Where can I go in this forum to read an existing posting or paper that will help me reevaluate the virtues of FX over DX?  I like what you are saying, stick with DX and change up to D500 body only. And the lenses mentioned in my opening post will work well with the D500?

Bill

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The FX bodies still have an advantage in available dark, but it is very small in practical use as the modern DX is still much better than the D700 was. The shallower DOF can be an advantage, but usually the DX DOF is shallow enough to isolate the element you want. The better AF and the lower mass to lug around for tele use are very real advantages for the D500.

The Tamron isn't stellar, but it can handle a 20 or 24 MP DX sensor. It is better on DX than on FX as the light and sharpness falloff are outside the DX image circle.

frostystones

frostystones

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

When I upgraded from the D5200, I wanted to stay DX, and with the new D7500 just being released, I compared it to the D7200.

But, I could not justify the price difference between the pros and cons to get the D7500.

The two big things are the D7200 has two SD cards and the optional grip, the D7500 does not. And those two things, mostly the SD card slots, is what I wanted.

the D500 is too far out of my budget. but I would have considered it.