Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 5 November 2017

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 5 November 2017, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. The editing exercises are taking a break at the moment, but feel free to play around in the old exercises. 

P.P.S. Peter is running a fun single lens challenge that we are all invited to participate in. Look for the "One week, one camera, one lens" challenge.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I'll post very early this week.

I don't think I can do better than this...

gallery_1251_413_104748.jpg

Model: NIKON D300
Lens (mm): 14 (AF-S Nikkor 14-24/2.8)
ISO: 200
Aperture: 22
Shutter: 1/1000
Exp. Comp.: -3.0

The idea was to shoot a blue hour silhouette mid-day. The white balance is skewed towards tungsten, but not quite. I don't remember exactly what the colour temperature is.

The exposure curve needed quite a bit of work before it looked right.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nice trick, Peter. :) Not everybody could take on the challenge of making midday look like the blue hour--thanks for sharing how you achieved it. Is this SOOC or did it require some work in post? 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It is close to SOOC. I could have turned the curve tweaks into a picture control if I wanted to do more of them, and that is the only thing done in post.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Not sure if this will be my best but it is my first of the week. It was heavy overcast.
ISO. 2000
Shutter 800
F7

And I will accept any critiquing.

92D8AE50-601C-4347-A839-356F39270C1F.jpeg

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Sorry I haven't participated for a couple of weeks. I've been busy trying to go commercial.  :)

My son helping me collect some photos for an "industrial" gallery:

810_4152-XL.jpg

Nikon D810, AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G @ f/11, ISO 64, 1/2"

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

Meet Kacey.  She is our 18 month old Belgian Malinois.  Fully grown but still a puppy.  Nikon d7500, Nikkor 18-140mm, 85mm,  ISO100, f/5.3, 1/160 sec 

Attached Thumbnails

• Kacey.jpg

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Amtrak on an overcast day and he was moving

ISO 1600
Shutter 1200
Aperture 7.1

D71D9C5C-FDDB-48CB-94BE-BFD10A12D567.jpeg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

1Q

Sorry about this. My cat ran over the keyboard and managed to write and post.

Edited by Merco_61, 05 November 2017 - 11:55 PM.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
I’m in an over-dramatic mood this week! One of these...CC5E49C2-1C42-439A-8692-D4AC3ADA0B91.jpeg 58899749-6733-4C01-A65C-3D913FD7CA5E.jpeg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

1Q

Sorry about this. My cat ran over the keyboard and managed to write and post.

This may be my favorite thing I've read lately...  :lol:  

So much to say about these images this week--really amazing work. I'll get to it later tonight when I get home from work. I even have a little something to contribute--just haven't had time to process any images for awhile.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I'm going to slip in an image of the Beaver Moon I shot this past weekend.  D4, 24-70 at 70mm, ISO 400, 1/125, f4.  I really wanted to try and get the moon right and catch the reflection on the water...

BeaverMoon-5160.jpg

I haven't had the chance to go through all of them yet, but I liked this one and wanted to get something posted...

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Posting late, but just finished processing the files from prvious week's visit to Krakow

Wawel castle
6cc95b1994bb4d0a3b79ce783aafdc03.jpg
D500 Nikon 50/1.8 50mm f16 1/400@ISO200

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'm late too! 

Jerry, that is fabulous, as always. I so love to see all your scenic photos--you do amazing work! Always so thoughtfully composed and beautiful.

Tom, I really like the mood in that photo--when I clicked on it and saw it big, I liked it even better. Really solid image. Love that reflection...

Dogbytes...wow. That is one dramatic sky in the first one, and the lone tree image is so very evocative. It's one that I could see working well for this old music challenge: August Music Challenge - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

Steve, you changed your name! I'm glad you kept your profile photo so we know it's you. :) I like both of your images, but that old barn with the overcast sky and the big tree in front of it really catch my eye. Nice composition there.

bill10385--wonderful portrait of a gorgeous dog. I'm sure she loves to play, but it's nice that you were able to capture her looking so dignified. She really is a beauty. It's so nice to see catchlights in her eye--it really brings her to life.

Mark...that is fantastic. So wonderfully exposed--nice starburst!! Did you add any light in the background, or is that ambient light illuminating his shoulders and the tools behind? This ought to look great in your commercial folio. 

And Peter, that is an intriguing image. I'm impressed with your ability to make the camera do EXACTLY what you want it to. 

As I said before, this week's images were just outstanding. My little submission feels pretty humble in comparison, but I only got my camera out once during this week. My husband built a crazy costume for my daughter for Halloween, so I had to document it:

38346303312_5b19ecd53d_b.jpgAlien in a UFO by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Sorry for an extra photo, but here's one more so you can see how she maneuvered it to go trick or treating:

38376514721_633c1fb8db_b.jpgAlien in a UFO by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Are we Americans the only weirdos who go crazy for Halloween?

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia
[snip]

Mark...that is fantastic. So wonderfully exposed--nice starburst!! Did you add any light in the background, or is that ambient light illuminating his shoulders and the tools behind? This ought to look great in your commercial folio. 

Nicole - the shop is pretty brightly lit with fluorescent ceiling lights.  I knew the welding would add a lot so I set the camera to underexpose a stop or two before he started the welder.  No additional light added other than the welding.  As for commercial, I'm still trying to work out whether there's a viable market for "industrial" photos.  There are lots of examples online, but not much info on what businesses pay for such services, or how frequently they might need a photographer.  Not quitting the day job just yet...

Awesome halloween costume!  My compliments to the designer and the duct tape engineer.  :)