Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ISO comparision

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

cwbolyard

cwbolyard

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

I tried to do some googling and was unable to find the answers. I believe I know the answer but just want some clarification. I am working with a D3000 and looking to upgrade to a D5500. Obviously the D5500 has much greater ISO capabilities. My D3000 has a max of 1600 and I'm wondering if the noise I see at D3000 max will be the same amount of noise seen at 1600 on the D5500. OR will the noise I see at the D3000 max (1600) be comparable to the max (25600) I would see on the D5500, if that makes sense. Thanks for any info!

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Newer sensors generally exhibit less noise, but a difference of 1 stop is considered to be "good" for each generation you upgrade.  So, if the D5500 at ISO 3200 is comparable to the 3000 at 1600, that would be a win.  Since you get more resolution, the overall image quality may be way better in this case.

Check the sensor ratings over at DxO mark, as they provide very good benchmarks.

Beyond image quality, you'll get a lot more features from the D5500 as well, and it will feel considerably faster and more modern.

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page

http://snapsort.com/...kon_D3000/specs

you will see that low light ISO performance is about 2.5 times better on the D5500. If you are happy with your prints from the D3000 at ISO1600, you can shoot D5500 at ISO4000 and get about the same noise levels.

cwbolyard

cwbolyard

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks! That definitely answers my questions

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

In reality, the ISO performance differs more than that if you print at the same size. The S/N ratio gets better when you downsample a high resolution sensor for print or screen.