Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Walk around lens for D500

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

jingler

jingler

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all,

Iam new to nikon and have bought a D500 + 200-500.

I mainly shoot wildlife but would like a recommendation for a general purpose walk around lens.

Thanks in advance.

Jingler

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I would go for the 16-80 simply because of the extra 2 mm at the wide end compared to all the 18-xx offerings, besides which, it is a very sharp and contrasty lens.

My ideal kit for any DX body would be the 10-24, 16-80, 70-200/4 and the 200-500. They make for a lighter and cheaper kit that can give the trinity + 200-500 on FX a match except in very low light, with the extra reach at the tele end as a bonus.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

I agree with the 16-80 for a walk around lens for the D500.  They are a nice combination for general photography.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yeah, I agree. The 16-80 is a good choice. I have the (much cheaper) 16-85 and it practically lives on my D7000. As Peter said, you'll come to appreciate those extra 2mm on the wide end.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have to agree with the posts above and if I was getting a general lens for the D500 it would probably be the 16-80...however, just to throw out another option, you might also want to look at the 24-120.  You certainly give up on the wide end but you also gain on the tele end...It's also a larger lens...but whatever works best for you...

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

would the 18-400 by tamron be good idea or not. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

would the 18-400 by tamron be good idea or not. 

The superzooms are at the other end compared to the 16-80. They are all about convenience, the 16-80 is all about quality. Even if the superzooms are better than their predecessors, they are still nowhere near the distortion, sharpness and contrast levels of a good zoom with less range.