Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon camera numbering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Fred588

Fred588

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm not really a beginner as I started in photography when LBJ was in office but I must say I am entirely baffled by Nikon's numbering (naming?) system for their DSLR cameras. Is there a system or are they just random? For example, it is obvious that d700, d7100, d7200, and d7500 represent the sequence in which these were released, but its not at all clear if the numbers mean anything else. Also the d750 appears superior to the d7500 except in price and in having a lower number.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The best way is to look at the number of digits.  After that, look at the first digit.

DX sensor:

D3xxx -> entry level

D5xxx -> mid range

Dxx -> mid range, retired

D7xxx -> high end

D3xx, D5xx -> pro

D1, D2 -> pro, retired

FX sensor:

D6xx -> "entry level"

D7xx -> mid range/high-end

D8xx -> pro (high res)

Dx -> pro (speed)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Adam's list is almost correct, except that the D700 was a pro body and the D750 is mid range/high end. The Dxx range needs to be split in two groups as well as the D50, D40 and D60 were entry level and the D70, D80 and D90 mid range/high end. The D100 and D200 were high end, bordering on pro bodies. The Df needs to go somewhere too, I feel it is high end.

If we use the categories entry level, consumer, enthusiast, prosumer and pro, the list will be something like this.

Entry level

D50, D40, D60, D3xxx

Consumer

D5xxx

Enthusiast

D70, D80, D90, D7000

Prosumer

D100, D200, D7100, Df, D750, D7200, D7500

Pro

D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D300, D700, D8xx, D500

The D600/D610 were prosumer bodies when introduced, but moved down to the enthusiast range when the D750 was introduced.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

One can argue that the D7500 should go back to the enthusiast category with the crippled mount, single cardslot, plastic construction and lack of vertical grip. It has lost the pro body features the D7100 inherited from the D300s.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Peter’s list is almost correct except that he missed out the D610 - although it did get a mention at the bottom.
However, I would argue that the DF fits into the system below D610 purely on its lack of a second card slot.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The reason I left the D6x0 out is that the long time in production has moved it in the line-up.

The Df is a special case as it has only one card slot, but is the most backward-compatible of all DSLRs and it has the D4 sensor which places it firmly in the prosumer bracket.