Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

from my promaster 100-400 af lens at 1/200 f/6.7 390mm iso 390mm 1/200 f/6.7 on d5300

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

what your take on this photo from my promaster 100-400 af lens at 1/200 f/6.7 390mm iso 390mm 1/200 f/6.7 on d5300 did i do anything wrong or came out right. when i got home i saw other pictures where look great on viewnx 2 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0157.JPG
  • DSC_0057.JPG

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Not sure what you are asking...1/200 seems slow.  were you using a tripod or monopod?  What ISO?

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
Was on monopod iso 10,000 did not know 1/200 was slow when went up or down by two turns to bright or to dark. Since leaning how to do full manual. Iso 10,000?f /6.7 1/200 was setting

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The issue is the combination of the lens and the event.  The lens is not designed for low-light shooting (f4.5-f6.7).  Most fields I am really pushing my 200-400 f4 to allow me to shoot sports under the lights.  You can probably get by like that but with those settings you will get movement on any type of action shot.  You also don't get the focus separation between subject and background because of the high aperture.  

The images above are OK.  I'd want the first a bit lighter in the shadows to see the face better - hard to tell but it kind of looks soft to me.  Might be the lighting or just a touch soft focus.  on the second, I would crop tighter.  

• Ron likes this

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

i got this lens to make learn how to shoot in full manual not rely full auto or semi auto. plus i got it for only $50 for lens and $15 for uv lens filter. was great find. i was also shoot at lager format so 6000x4000 will start shooting at (M)  4,496 x 3,000. was just asking for help since do not own laptop and can not see flaws in till i get home and check pictures out. since can not tell what i doing wrong when small view screen makes every thing look great. what would set to F/ stop and and aperture. love fact manual only make me learn manual. and not do what my buddy does on sony still use full auto to get great pictures. what i learn that from this lens will take over to my other lens like my tamorn basic 70-300 and other prime lens and 12-24 ultra-wide angle lens. also did not know all flaws on this lens too. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You do not need any specific lens to shoot manual.  What you need to do first is understand the impact of aperture, shutter speed and ISO.  The three of those combine to create the correct exposure.  All are trade offs which you can use to your benefit.  The exact "same" image will look different if you shoot it with different combinations such as different shutter speeds.  The same goes for different apertures or different ISOs.  You can have many different combinations that will be "correctly exposed" but they will have differences based on how you select those three settings.  Your camera has a light meter that can tell you what the camera believes is a good exposure and you can look at the histogram after you have shot an image to check your exposure, then adjust from there to get what you want.  You don't need a laptop screen to look at the histogram and you should be able to tell if the exposure is correct (or at least close) by checking on the camera's screen...worst case you can zoom in to check smaller areas.  

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
I seee that . But when ablity to use auto or semi auto. I am not learning to use camera at fullest ablity. I relay on camera to do all work. I will go back to it. Since get fluster when u can not get pictures to look in focus or lighting right. This forcing me to learn it and do manual. Instead of going to camera to get job done. If making me better photographer now.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Go to a location and take photos in some sort of organized manner so that you see how the different pieces - aperture, shutter and ISO - change the image.  That is the first thing I would do.  See how the depth of field changes as the aperture changes.  See how movement is shown or frozen as the shutter speed changes.  See how the quality of an image changes as your ISO changes.  

Once you learn how each of these change your image, THEN try shooting things that might "fool" your light meter and change only one of the settings to get more and less exposure than your meter recommends - called bracketing.  You can then see how best to shoot those situations.  

As far as focus goes, I would just let autofocus do its thing when you do those steps above.  Once you have a good handle on exposure, then we can discuss situations where different autofocus options might be beneficial.