Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

ALPUGH

ALPUGH

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Group!

I have a D5 that was purchased back in june 2016.
It has been working perfectly until august 2017.
It developed some sort of battery drain issue on or about 20 august 2017, while I was visiting Idaho to photograph the eclipse.
A fully charged battery, if placed in the camera, will drain about 2 bars over a period of 12 hours with the camera turned off.
It does not matter if a lens is attached or not.

The camera got a little wet in Costa Rica, december 2016 (I had a rain cover on the camera, it kept rain from direct contact but it still got a little wet,..it was pouring! ) . I was not worried at all. The D5 is weather sealed and can take a little rain. I also have a D4 that has seen rain. Not a problem. FYI It never got wet since this one time.
The camera has never been dropped. The battery held charge as normal until this august. I have taken it on many trips and I have never seen this before.

The camera still operates normally. It just goes through batteries faster.

The batteries work fine and stay charged if I use them in my D4, so the problem is the camera not the batteries. And yes, they are Nikon batteries that came with the cameras I have plus a spare I bought (total of 3).

Has anyone else experienced a sudden inexplicable battery drain issue with your Nikon camera??
What was the cause?
Was it repaired under warranty?
Did they charge you for it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, loss of charge, battery drain, drains battery, short circuit, loss of power, warranty