Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My first air show

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I attended a local air show on Saturday to see what I could capture in pixels.  I didn't do any research on photographing aircraft until after, when I learned that I should have been using lower shutter speeds for propeller driven airplanes.  I captured a little prop motion in these, but next time I will have to try longer speeds.  Panning is clearly a skill that takes a lot of practice, and to get the "full circle" propeller motion it would appear that panning technique is critical.

36988440374_9edbd4914d_b.jpg

Scott Francis by Mark, on Flickr

37698742951_5a316a643a_b.jpg

Culpeper Airfest by Mark, on Flickr

36988437494_4bc7f3f1c4_b.jpg

Wing Walker by Mark, on Flickr

37698752991_435d94fe65_b.jpg

Culpeper Airfest by Mark, on Flickr

Any suggestions on getting good air show photos?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

1/45 for radials, 1/60 for Merlins, Griffons and Allisons, 1/80-1/100 for Lycomings and Continentals and 1/30 for geared or multi-row radials as those props are so slow. These shutter speeds work with the engine on song, If they fly by slow, you will need to go even lower.

Good panning technique is essential. A good way to train your panning is to attend a track day for motorbikes or sports cars as you will get plenty of practice in a predictable pattern. This will always be a good skillset to have.

Compose so the plane always has air to fly into.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I saw one photographer with a monopod and gimbal head.  I think if this were something I was planning to do frequently that would be my next investment.  Composing with the long telephoto lens is mostly luck or post processing crop for me now.  It's all I can do to keep the subject in the frame, let alone a specific part of the frame.

What does "on song" mean?  I've heard the term before but haven't googled it yet.  As flying is not something I've ever followed, I wouldn't know how to identify the different engines you listed.  Radials are generally easy to spot when they are exposed like in the wing walker photos.  I imagine there are people who can identify them by sound, but I'm not one of them.  In any case, I started at 1/500" and went up to 1/800" on Saturday.  Going the other way to 1/100" would only have ensured many more blurry images.  I have done some track day and race day motorcycles, but not often enough to really count as practice.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The radials are easy to identify even when cowled as they are round and aircooled, like the ones in your last photo. The V-12 engines from Rolls Royce and Allison are in warbirds that don't run radials, like Mustangs, Warhawks, Airacobras etc. The Lycomings and Continentals are the flat 4-s and flat 6-s in modern aerobats and F1 racers. You have good examples in the bipe with smoke and the MXS.

Aircraft go on song when the throttle is 3/4 open or more and the nose is lowered so the prop unloads and the whole aircraft sings.