Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

At the lake

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Weather was nice yesterday so we spent the afternoon at the lake.  As usual, I took lots of photos but only a few were keepers.  Here's an Osprey that posed for a few minutes.  Even with the long lens I still had to crop significantly.

37465656500_ae1dcb5e44_b.jpg

Osprey by Mark, on Flickr

37465655070_2cbe611b81_b.jpg

Osprey at the lake by Mark, on Flickr

37013784254_85c36fe93a_b.jpg

Osprey in flight by Mark, on Flickr

Too many of my lake shots are blurry.  It can be difficult to hand hold the 150-600 lens and keep steady on a moving boat.  If anyone has tips or advice for wildlife photos from a moving platform, please share.  Comments and critique appreciated.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I like to use a monopod when on a moving platform as this will take the weight off my hands so I only need to stabilize the rig, not hold it up.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

It's looking like a monopod will need to be on my short list.  However, for all of my "at the lake" photos, I'm also driving the boat so that complicates things a little...  :)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I know how that goes...good time to test the anchor :).  Other than the eclipse, I really haven't taken my gear out on the boat for the same reason.  There have been a few times where I wish I had though.  Probably once the novelty of the boat rides wear off.  But still I would want to plan for what I wanted to shoot...don't think I'd be hauling all the gear out to the boat!  Eventually, my 200-400 and monopod will make it out though...Hoping the Osprey's nest again next spring at a location I found!  They left shortly before the eclipse, but we did go by to see if they were there...