Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Carrying and Storing Lenses

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I have a couple of camera bags that have the standard padded sepeartion parts. However, I have also got bags that came with my lenses and padded storeage bags that I bought. How do people carry their lenes/ Just in the seperated areas without any further protection or using the bags as well?

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

I haven't got any photos of my gear up here yet but i use the following to carry my camera and lenses.

Standard nikon padded shoulder bag when im walking to hold filters lens hoods etc.

in transit i use a large pelican case with the removable foam.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I try to use the lens covers that come with then and my National Geographic medium backpack. Also have a Nikon shoulder bag for lighter days out.

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Another tip for everyone.

You can never have enough of the silica gel sachet packet thingys :D these are a great help to dehumidifying you storage cases etc. They draw any moisture that may be in the case to the packet, therefore reducing the risk of getting any kind of mould groth in the bag or in the precious camera or lens gear that you may have.

If your out near the water or rain try and at least wipe your gear dry even as a temporary measure till you get home as this can also reduce the negative impact on gear such as salt/chemical corrosion, humidity etc

Other than that try and get a routine set up how you store your gear don't get the chuck it in attitude happening, remember cleanliness is next to godliness :)

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I never use the little soft pouches that come with some lenses.

I use a Lowepro flipside http://www.bhphotovi...pack_Black.html and keep the lenses separated in the sectioned off areas.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I generally have a Lowepro rolling bag that holds most (if not all) of my gear that I'll need.  Worst case outside will be my monopod with lens and body mounted that I carry along with the rolling bag.  No extra cases for the lenses, but they will all have both caps on unless mounted to a body.  A couple of the big lenses I've rented have come with a soft case from Nikon and I really liked those cases.  Since my bag isn't really big enough to hold one of those (200-400, 300, 400) in addition to my other gear, I anticipate transporting whichever I end up with in its bag.  That bag seems to have a more easily used carry setup for a monopod too.

Anna

Anna

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I just got this sling bag and love it. We hike a lot so it makes it easy to swap my lenses out.

511b2jXAVFL._SY100_.jpg

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H814KC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I use a vanguard UP-RISE 34 sling bag that I have found to be really good. http://www.vanguardw...l-1-1-4-31.html

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

I always use bags that goes with lens. It protect lens from dirt. And of course I use camera bag.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I always use bags that goes with lens. It protect lens from dirt. And of course I use camera bag.

I tried that Stas, but found that it slowed me up when I was trying to change lenses and depending on the location where I find myself, can make the change over even more difficult, Think part of the problem could be my big hands.

Stas

Stas

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Country Flag

Of course it will slow you up, but in such way you protect lenses from dust and from strikes. I prefer to lose some speed of reaction but keep my lenses in safety. And also I want to add that wright choise of your main lens for every photosession will help you to chonge your lens not too often and don't slow up.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Are we talking about the soft pouches or the plastic baggies? I never use the soft pouches often included with some lenses, as they are bulky and harder to fit in your bag slots, but I will throw lenses inside the plastic baggies so they will be protected from dust and food debris (if you're like me and sometimes put snacks in your bag, lol).

Maddie H.

Maddie H.

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks to all who have posted! I learned a lot on this page :)