Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D2X in 2017?

nikon d2x

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
Last week a friend of mine came to visit and left me some of his old Nikon gear to play with - a body and three lenses. This week I’ve been using the 80-200/2.8D on my D610 and very nice it is too. He also left a D2X body, which in digital SLR terms is positively vintage, having been introduced in 2004. However it is still a professional level Nikon with all the quality that that entails and, in my humble opinion, pro Nikons have always been a joy to use so I’m hoping I can find a reason to use it over my D610!

I’ve ordered a CF-SD card adaptor so that I can actually use it but I was wondering who was still shooting with a D2X and how the image quality compares in the modern world(!). I imagine its low light performance will be a bit lacking but what about its focus tracking and things like that?

Interested to hear any opinions from people still using these cameras.

sjsepan

sjsepan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Here is a good thread on the subject over at DPReview forums: Why people still buy used D2X: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D5, D600-D850) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review . Of course, newer cameras have many advantages over the vintage ones, but as you will see, that doesn't keep enthusiasts from having fun and producing good photos with such cameras.

I don't have any of the D2 series myself, but I picked up a D1H about a year ago, and when it died (my fault, not the camera's), I got another.
Nikon D1H | Flickr

So don't hesitate to go out there and at least try it out. At the very least you can say you've tried one, and maybe it'll be a 'keeper'. :-)

Steve

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Here is a good thread on the subject over at DPReview forums: Why people still buy used D2X: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D5, D600-D850) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review . Of course, newer cameras have many advantages over the vintage ones, but as you will see, that doesn't keep enthusiasts from having fun and producing good photos with such cameras.

Steve

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look. I’ll definitely be givingthe D2X a go, I have an F4 and an F5 neither of which I use now but both of which I used extensively when I shot on film. I’ve always liked the way the pro Nikons handle and I’m sure I’ll enjoy the D2X

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
I’ve got the card adaptor, so I’ll be out with the D2X tomorrow morning. I’ve put the 80-200/2.8 on it - it’ll probably balance better on the D2X than it does on my D610!

MJL

MJL

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationThe Canadian wet coast

Site Supporter

I can still use my D2X for publication purpose.  The 747 was shot with the Tamron 135-600 zoom and the kidrobot with Nikkor 55 mm Micro.

Attached Thumbnails

• D2X_5374.JPG
  • D2X_0911.JPG

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall
Well the D2X behaved very well and was very nice to shoot with. Got to say though that in the, what, ten years between the D2X and the D610 being launched, improvements were made! I’d be very interested to try a D5. Nope, not hearing the sound of Nikon representatives banging on my door, I guess I’ll have to wait until they’re ten years, or so, old!

I do a lot of my personal photography when walking the dogs, for a couple of hours, in the mornings. I need two distinct set-ups - the doggy action pics and the static scenic pics and those programmable User settings on the D610 do make life easier. As does the bigger monitor, etc. The metering and AF controls were instinctive, harking back to my F4 and F5 days but the D610 ones are slicker. Does a D2X have auto-iso? I couldn’t find it. On the other hand the old, familiar solidity and ease of grip of the Nikon Pro bodies was a welcome return. It certain,y made the 80-200 2.8 less of a handful.

Speaking of which, that was my final outing with that lens. I just noticed it suffers the same complaint as that 300/4 that I all too briefly owned, in that the front part of the lens housing is loose. Looking into the objective glass, there are six screw heads visible and there is movement there. The 300 had only four screws so they obviously felt they needed to beef up the design at some point. It wasn’t enough. Anyway to avoid damaging it, it will remain in its bag until it’s owner wants it back. Shame, I was enjoying it.

Anyway, enough of this. Some snaps from their morning...

Attached Thumbnails

• 7243F7B6-99BF-4A2A-B3F2-08A074355208.jpeg
  • E8A4499E-5528-4616-8D2D-2B77298BE2F9.jpeg
  • ACACE3B5-0E59-4C58-A5A2-92FC36F467F8.jpeg
  • AB409D79-E1CF-43A8-9110-3E04C8503CF0.jpeg
  • 320552CD-9BF6-495D-A241-CD92994CA804.jpeg
  • DF8DAD02-3E78-4E36-AF50-336982019341.jpeg
  • 7F991953-8743-4ED8-8AEB-04F57A97A545.jpeg
  • 465E6982-6CE1-4293-8345-7520023D5CF0.jpeg
  • B03F0B32-7F21-4682-96C6-8A2060EB04E1.jpeg
  • BC765452-43B9-48DE-9042-AEFB9275AF03.jpeg
  • CEFB77C2-4046-480C-8736-2D0BB2FDEA54.jpeg
  • E455075C-35C1-42C8-BC82-32EDD9DA7374.jpeg

sjsepan

sjsepan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

DogBytes.

The manual has some info on auto-ISO on p188, setting 'b1' (http://cdn-10.nikon-...2X_en_print.pdf).

Very nice shots, BTW!

Steve

Well the D2X behaved very well and was very nice to shoot with. Got to say though that in the, what, ten years between the D2X and the D610 being launched, improvements were made! I’d be very interested to try a D5. Nope, not hearing the sound of Nikon representatives banging on my door, I guess I’ll have to wait until they’re ten years, or so, old!

I do a lot of my personal photography when walking the dogs, for a couple of hours, in the mornings. I need two distinct set-ups - the doggy action pics and the static scenic pics and those programmable User settings on the D610 do make life easier. As does the bigger monitor, etc. The metering and AF controls were instinctive, harking back to my F4 and F5 days but the D610 ones are slicker. Does a D2X have auto-iso? I couldn’t find it. On the other hand the old, familiar solidity and ease of grip of the Nikon Pro bodies was a welcome return. It certain,y made the 80-200 2.8 less of a handful.

Speaking of which, that was my final outing with that lens. I just noticed it suffers the same complaint as that 300/4 that I all too briefly owned, in that the front part of the lens housing is loose. Looking into the objective glass, there are six screw heads visible and there is movement there. The 300 had only four screws so they obviously felt they needed to beef up the design at some point. It wasn’t enough. Anyway to avoid damaging it, it will remain in its bag until it’s owner wants it back. Shame, I was enjoying it.

Anyway, enough of this. Some snaps from their morning...

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

DogBytes.
The manual has some info on auto-ISO on p188, setting 'b1' (http://cdn-10.nikon-...2X_en_print.pdf).

Very nice shots, BTW!

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I did find the manual online (and I’ve since found the paper one in the bag!) but haven’t had time to absorb the whole thing. Which is mainly the point - that kind of thing should be intuitive. However it is a thirteen year old design and I appreciate that.

I do really like pro Nikon bodies, always have, and I will put my 50/1.4 (my favourite lens) on the D2X next. It’s not going to make better images than my D610 but it will probably be more fun to shoot with.

I have an awful lot of time for the D610 which is a far, far better camera than it will ever be given credit for because it will always have been Nikon’s entry level FX body and that just isn’t sexy. I will never NEED a better IQ than the D610 can provide. However, I will probably never love the D610 whereas I probably could love a D5!

One of my favourite subjects is Lurcher racing and the D610 can struggle to keep up - I suspect the D5 would have no such trouble!

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Update. Good news! Upon more detailed examination it became clear that it wasn’t the internal screws that had come loose, like in the 300/4, but just the ones on the outside. Anyway it’s fixed now.

PhotoAddicted

PhotoAddicted

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
I love my D2Xs! Feels great to work with. I'm also a Canon CPS gold/gold member but as you see I'm not a fanboy of whatever . I love to work with my Ais lenses on the D2Xs. Great results! I use often a red filter R25A on b/w. There are no sophisticated electronic filters on the D2Xs... so I can use its full potential. Superbe cam which has its full potential - even after 12 years!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, d2x